44

Remy sighed, staring up at the stars. The shingles on the roof were a bit uncomfortable, and the slope was awkward, but it was the only place where he could think. He wanted to stay with his boyfriends, but the Sandman was supposed to be solitary. That's why he had to leave Patt in the first place.

Soon, the older Sandpeople will find out. Remy shuddered at the thought. What would happen if he refused to leave his boyfriends? They couldn't denounce his title, it was literally branded onto him. Remy could almost feel the burn marks being re-branded into his neck.

Maybe they would do something to his boyfriends.

Remy froze at the thought. They wouldn't. Would they? Remy took a deep breath. He and his boyfriends would be fine.

"Rem?"

The Sandman jumped, but breathed a sigh of relief when he recognized that the voice belonged Logan.

"Hey babe." Remy smiled at the merman.

"Why are you on the roof?" Logan asked, resting his chin on his arms.

Remy layed back down, "I'm just thinking."

"About?" Logan said.

Remy shrugged, "stuff."

"What kind of stuff?" Logan questioned.

Remy sighed, "The Sandman isn't supposed to be with anyone. It interferes with being impartial or some bullshit."

"So?" Logan asked, "What does that matter?"

"There are other Sandpeople." Remy rubbed his neck, "They're horrific."

"What happened?" Logan whispered.

"Their training." Remy spat, "At least, that's what they call it. I call it torture. Not letting children sleep for weeks at a time, shocking them of they drifted. Then at the age of ten in human years, they brand the kid over a mark they already had and force them to permanently shift into a human body. And trust me, that hurts."

"Oh Rem..." Logan sighed.

"It's okay." Remy rubbed at his eyes, sighing, "I'm going to bed."

"Are you sure?" Logan started to push himself out of the pool.

"I'm sure Lo." Remy smiled, "goodnight."

Logan sighed, "alright. Goodnight Rem."