3

Once everything had settled down, and Logan was back in human form, the three mythological creatures started asking the human questions.

"So, Roman, why were you wandering around in this part of the forest?" Logan asked.

Roman frowned, "I'm not entirely sure... I was coming home from work and I blacked out. The next thing I knew I was here and there was a pistol in my hand. I tried to find my way back, but this... thing attacked me."

"A thing?" Virgil raised his eyebrow.

"It wasn't you, JD-lightful." Roman spat.

Virgil shook his head, "What the f-!"

"Language!" Patton yelled, popping a few more berries into his mouth.

"-rick is 'JD-lightful?'" Virgil said.

Roman gasped loudly, "How do you not know Heather's!? Do you even heard of musicals!?"

Virgil glanced at the merman and the fawn, "do you have any idea what he's saying?"

"That is a conversation for another time." Logan said, straightening his glasses, "Anyway, Roman, could you describe the thing that attacked you?"

The human nodded, "it looked human, but it's face was half covered in scales.  It was too dark to really see anything, and then I felt something sharp pierce my side. One of it's eyes was glowing and I shot at it, unfortunately it seems like I hit you instead, Virgil. I apologize."

Virgil sighed, "it's fine. Just don't do it again."

"I wouldn't dream of it." Roman smiled.

Logan cleared his throat, "Well Roman, you seemed to have been attacked by a Naga."

Virgil made a low growl in the back of his throat, "and I think I know which one."

"W-what do you mean kiddo?" Patton asked.

"Garuda's and Naga's are mortal enemies." Virgil spat, "it's no coincidence that I was injured because of something he did."

"He?" Logan questioned.

Virgil grit his teeth, "Deceit."

Patton squeaked and dropped his bowl, the dish shattering on the floor.

"Shoot!" Patton yelped, "I-I'm sorry! Continue, please..."

"Patton? Are you alright?" Logan asked.

The fawn nodded quickly, starting to pick up the pieces of the bowl, "Yep! I'm fine!"

Patton walked to the kitchen with an almost unnoticeable limp. Logan frowned.

"You two stay here," Logan said, "I'm going to help Patton."

Virgil and Roman nodded as Logan passed them to the kitchen.

"Patton?" Logan asked.

The fawn jumped, his hooves clicking against the floor, "Oh, hey Logan!"

"Are you alright?" Logan asked

Patton nodded, "Yeah, the pieces weren't very sharp so-"

"That's not what I meant." Logan interrupted, "you were limping again."

Patton sighed, "w-when that hunter shot me, I was saved by someone, he said his name was Deceit. The hunter came over a-and I couldn't m-move. Deceit b-bit the hunter a-and r-ran. The hunter s-screamed and screamed a-and then his son came over and saw m-me. I-I ran away as fast as I could, b-but by then the screaming stopped."

Patton had started crying while telling the Logan the memory. The merman hugged Patton, wiping away his tears.

"Why didn't you tell me this before?" Logan asked.

"I w-was scared." Patton sniffed, "h-he said if I told anyone... I w-would be next."

Logan held the fawn closer as he sobbed into his shirt.

"That's not gonna happen." Virgil said, "you saved me, I'll protect you."

Patton looked up at the Garuda, "R-really?"

Virgil nodded.

"Um, Patton?" Roman asked, "how... how long ago did that all happen?"

Patton paused, rubbing his eyes, "about ten years, I think. Why do you ask kiddo?"

"When I was younger, I had a dream I saw a fawn." Roman said, "when I told my mom about it, she told me it was the grief of losing my dad in a hunting accident... she said that for a lot of things."

The human paused and sighed, "Anyway, I don't think it was a dream that I had."

Patton looked closely at Roman and gasped, "you're the hunters son!"

"What!" Virgil growled, stepping between the human and the fawn.

"I'm sorry!" Roman said, "I never wanted to go!"

"But you were there!" Virgil spat, "you could have stopped it!"

"I was ten!" Roman shouted, "I couldn't have done anything..."

"Virge-" Patton reached out to the Garuda.

"Whatever!" Virgil yelled, pushing past Roman, "I'm leaving. I need to find Deceit before he hurts anyone else."

"Virgil wait! Your wing!" Patton called out.

Virgil glared back and ripped the bandages off his wing. He walked out and launched himself into the air, soaring off without a word.