15

It had been a week since Virgil started working at Roman's theater. He loved making the costumes and talking to Joan and Talyn, who both worked part time there for set creation. Virge often worked late, which meant he almost never got a chance to stretch his wings. Most days he would come home and immediately go to bed, not even bothering to take his hoodie off. Last night was one of those nights.

Virgil was woken up by sharp pain in his back and wings. He whined when he tried to remove his hoodie, eventually getting it off and collapsing on his bed. Everything hurt.

There was a knock on the door, "Virge? Are you up yet?"

Virgil opened his mouth, but only a strangled cry came out. Tears started welling up in his eyes.

"Virge, are you okay?" Roman asked, his hand on the doorknob, "can I come in?"

Roman listened closely and heard a small, "please..."

Roman quickly opened the door, seeing Virgil on his bed with tears on his cheeks. His wings bent at odd, stuck angles and his feathers were no longer sleek and shiny.

"Oh Virge, what happened?" Roman asked, rushing over to Virgil's side.

"H-hurts." Virgil sobbed.

Roman gently shushed him, brushing the hair from his eyes, "it's okay Virgy. You're staying home today, I'll text Joan."

Virgil nodded and Roman sent a quick text to them. Roman set the phone down and started massaging Virgil's wings. Virgil whined in both relief and pain.

"It's okay Virgy, I promise this will help." Roman said, starting to stretch out the Garuda's wings and smooth out the feathers.

Virgil nodded and sighed as the pain started to ebb away. Roman smiled as a more peaceful expression appeared on his boyfriends face.

"WHAT THE FUCK."

Roman and Virgil jumped. Joan was standing in the doorway.

Roman put his hands up, "Joan there is a perfectly good explanation for this-"

"Virgil has fucking wings!" Joan screamed.

Virgil flinched back. He felt his heart skip and his breathing pick up.

"Joan can we please talk later?" Roman asked, noticing the beginnings of a panic attack.

Joan took a deep breath, "I'll be in the backyard. You better fucking explain this Roman."

Joan stalked out to the back, their mind reeling. They heard Patton and Logan laughing in the backyard.

"Dudes, I think I'm going insa- WHAT THE FUCK!?"

Logan was in merman form, floating by the edge of the pool. Patton was sitting on the pool deck next to him looking very much like a fawn.

"Oh dear." Logan said.

Patton stood up, "h-hey kiddo, um, w-we can explain-"

Joan backed up and sat on the wicker swing, "I'm either dreaming or insane."

Patton shook his head, "this is all real kiddo. I know it's kinda weird- well, really weird, but we're still the same people you know."

"Joan!" Roman yelled, coming out, "I- oh..."

"It's a bit more than 'oh' Roman." Joan said, their voice held a bit more than an edge, "explain."

Roman sighed, "I have. Two weeks ago and you didn't believe me."

"Well you do have a habit of being dramatic." Joan said.

Roman made an offended noise, "I do not!"

"Yes you do." Virgil said, coming up behind Roman and resting his chin on his boyfriends shoulder.

Roman pouted and crosses his arms.

"Okay," Joan said, holding up their hands, "if this is all real-"

"Which it is." Logan interrupted.

"-then how and why are you all here?" Joan asked.

"Deceit." Virgil shivered, "he stabbed Roman, who then shot me, Logan rescued me from drowning and took me to Patton and Patton rescued Roman from dying. Deceit then burned Patton's house down so we all moved here."

Joan blinked in surprise, "what the fuck dude."

Virgil shrugged, "you asked."

Joan sighed, "okay. So what the hell is everyone."

"I am a merman." Logan said, swishing his tail a little.

"I'm a fawn!" Patton giggled.

"I'm a Garuda." Virgil stretched his wings.

Joan nodded, "okay. This is fine. I just have one question, what the hell is a Garuda?"

"An adorable little person with incredibly soft wings." Roman smiled.

Virgil hissed, "I am a Buddhist and Hindu deity who can create hurricanes with a single flap of my wings! I am a creature who has been around for centuries!"

"Virge, you're nineteen." Roman said.

Virgil pouted, "not cool Ro."

"You know you love me." Roman laughed.

Virgil smirked, "yeah."

"Wait." Joan said, "are you two together?"

Roman nodded, "yeah."

"Alright. I've had enough of this fucking weirdness today." Joan said, getting to their feet, "I'm calling it a day."

"Alright." Roman said as Joan walked out.

"Well. That was a disaster." Logan sighed.

"It wasn't that bad." Patton admitted, "I mean, they didn't take quite as well as Roman, but at least they don't hate us or anything."

"Or do they." Virgil balked, "Oh god what if we messed up? Oh shit."

"Virge." Roman said, holding his boyfriends shoulders, "they don't hate us. Trust me, they would have said something."

Virgil took a deep breath, "yeah, yeah, okay."

"Okay." Roman hugged Virgil, "let's go inside now."

Virgil nodded and let Roman guide him inside. Patton and Logan went back to talking. Everything returned to normal?

(Happy Birthday to PrinxietyAllTheWay!!!)