38

Virgil woke up to banging on the bars of his cell.

"Get up traitor! Your trial is starting." A guard shouted, clicking her beak.

Virgil groaned and sat up as guards roughly grabbed his arms and wings. Their talons dug into him, but he could barely feel it. The guards dragged Virgil to the room where the trial was taking place.

It was a circular room with seats around the single chair in the center. One large chair sat above them all. It reminded Virgil of the scene from Harry Potter when Harry had a trial.

Virgil heart ached. Roman watched it with him.

The guards shoved Virgil into the chair in the center. Virgil glanced around at the Garuda's sitting around him. Most of them were high Garudas, but Virgil spotted a few low Garudas like him.

Virgil bowed his head as the judge began to talk.

"Peregrine. You are accused of stealing from the cup of immortality and saving a human. What do you  have to say on the matter?"

Virgil sighed, "I took a bit of the liquid to save- to try to save my boyfriend."

"The human?"

Virgil nodded, tears starting to fall down his cheeks, "H-he was shot. H-he would have d-died and I thought I-I could save him b-but I was too late. H-he's gone..."

Virgil bit back a sob as he heard the clicks and murmered of the other Garudas around him.

The judge hit the gavel a few times, "The punishment for stealing from the cup is de-wingment and one hundred years banishment for as many drops was taken."

Virgil nodded, spreading his wings and waiting for the pain. He'd seen enough of these to know what happens.

"However, because it was to save someone else's life and not your own, and the fact that your loved one passed, you will keep your wings and be banished for as long as you live."

Virgil's head shot up, "What?"

The guards grabbed him and dragged him out the the room. They carried him out of the tree and to the edge of Garuda territory.

"There you traitor." One Garuda snapped, throwing Virgil onto the ground, "You should have lost your wings."

Virgil winced and moved to get up, but the Garuda stomped her talon down on his leg. She leaned in as Virgil cried out in pain.

"You're lucky I don't kill you right now."

The other Garuda put a hand on her arm, "Falcon, leave him alone."

Falcon scoffed and lifted her talon, "Fine. Let's go Harpy."

Virgil slowly got up as they flew away. Pain radiated throughout his body. He leaned against a tree as he stood. Virgil limped through the forest, ignoring the looks of passing Mystics as he went. Soon he reached the city.

Virgil's wings dragged harshly against the concrete pavement. He didn't care about the looks he got from the humans. Everyone knew about their existance since the...

Virgil shut his eyes tightly. He wasn't going to think about that.

Virgil continued to limp to his home. It was so close. Just a few more blocks. His head started to spin. One more minute. His vision started to darken. One more...

Virgil collapsed to the ground, quickly slipping into unconsciousness.