46

Remy stretched on his bed of clouds. He heard Virgil giggle behind him. The Sandman turned around to see Virgil laying next to him with Patton grooming his wings. Remy smiled, kissing the Garuda and the fawn. Roman walked up and kissed Remy, telling him Deceit and Logan were downstairs. Remy nodded and got up, walking down the cloud stairs. Logan and Deceit were splashing around in a pool. Remy went up and kissed them both.

Suddenly, the clouds around him went black. Deceit and Logan fell limp into the pool. Remy heard Roman behind him and turned around. Roman was bleeding from a gash on his neck.

The cloud floor beneath Remy gave out and he fell through the air back to earth.

Remy woke up on his bed, in his home, alone. He grimaced at the dull pain in his stomach. The Sandman felt bandages around his torso. How long had he been out?

Remy struggled to his feet, leaning against the wall for support. He carefully made his way to the door, then out into the hall. Remy smiled sadly at the state of the living room.

Sand was piled up, and next to those piles, Logan, Virgil, and Patton were fast asleep. Remy waved his hand and all the sand dissapeared. Slowly, his boyfriends began to stir.

"Remy!" Patton giggled, stumbling sleep-drunk over to his boyfriend and hugging him.

Remy caught him with a small laugh, "Hey babe."

"Are you-" Patton yawned, "okay?"

Remy kissed Patton's forhead, "I'm okay. Why don't you go sleep off the rest of the sand."

Patton nodded and yawned again, heading back to his room. Remy want over to Logan, who was sitting up and rubbing his eyes.

"Hey Lo." Remy gently rubbed the merman's shoulder, "You still tired?"

Logan nodded and yawned, "How's your wound?"

Remy lightly touched his side and chuckled, "Tis but a scratch."

Logan frowned, "That's what that Monty Python character said before he died."

"The black knight?" Remy laughed, "and technically he didn't die."

Logan huffed, "still-"

"I'm fine Lo." Remy smiled, "Patt's in his room sleeping off the sand, you should too."

Logan nodded, "okay."

Remy helped Logan to his feet, then sent him down the hall to sleep. Then he went to Virgil, who was still asleep.

"Virge, time to wake up." Remy rubbed the Garuda's wings.

Virgil grumbled, his wings twitching slightly as he buried his face in his arms. Remy chuckled. Deceit slithered in, holding a few masks.

"I found a- oh, it's cleaned." The Naga said.

Remy carefully stood, "Hey babe."

Deceit's face brightened as he dropped the masks, rushing to hug the Sandman, "Remy!"

Remy chuckled lightly, "so you outsmarted Logan with thinking of the masks huh?"

Deceit blushed and nodded, "You scared us all Rem. Are you okay?"

Remy nodded, "yeah I'm okay."

"Good." Deceit sighed, "oh! Does Roman know you're awake?"

Remy froze, tears pricking his eyes, "Roman's alive?"

Deceit nodded, "yeah, he's alive. It's gonna take a lot more to kill him now that he's essentially immortal."

Remy let out a laugh, nodding as tears rolled down his cheeks, "yeah."

"Dee? Rem?" Virgil asked, sitting up and yawning, "wha' happened?"

Remy laughed lightly and rubbed his cheeks, "Nothing to worry about babe, no ones gonna hurt us anymore."

Virgil smiled sleepily at his boyfriends before standing up, "I'ma go fin' Ro n' take a nap."

"Alright." Remy smiled and kissed Virgil softly before he walked off.

"Rem, there's something you have to see..." Deceit whispered, taking the Sandman's hand.

"What is it? Is something wrong?" Remy asked as Deceit lead him to the door.

"No- well, it's hard to explain..." Deceit said, "the Sandpeople were much more powerful than we thought and apparently they separated humans and Mystics centuries ago by changing everyones memories or killing them. So now all the elders remember what it was like with the humans and, well..."

Deceit opened the front door.

Fawns, centaurs, wood sprites, and fairies flitted through the streets, conversing with humans as they pleased. Mer-people with bracelets similar to Logan's walked around with surfers and fishermen. Garuda's and Naga's were gathered by a group of kids, telling them stories of sky, sea, earth, and fire.

Tears came to Remy's eyes once again as he covered his mouth.

"It's incredible, isn't it?" Deceit whispered.

Remy could only nod.

"Hey Rem." A rough voice said behind him.

Remy turned to see Roman standing there, bandages wrapped around his neck, but alive. The Sandman let out a soft sob, pulling Roman into a tight hug. Roman hugged back tightly, carding his fingers through Remy's hair.

"I thought I lost you." Remy whimpered.

"It's okay Rem." Roman whispered, "I'm okay."

Virgil soon came out, smiling at the sight he saw. He gestured for Logan and Patton to hurry up as he walked over to his other boyfriends. Roman continued to hold Remy, even when the Sandman turned to look outside again. Patton and Logan hugged Deceit from behind, also watching the humans and Mystics.

Deceit smiled and looked at all his boyfriends, "it's the start of a new era. A better era. One where we can all live in peace, without fear of each other."

The Naga laughed, "maybe it'll be the best era yet."

~~a few years layer~~

Patton's hooves clicked against the wood floor of his home. It had been a pretty quiet day, only a few mer-kiddos came by to say hello. Not that he was complaining, as social as Patton was, he did enjoy his peace.

The kettle whistled and Patton poured the water into a mug to make hot chocolate. The fawn walked out to his backyard to watch the sunset over the ocean. Patton sat at the edge of the pool, a place where mer-folk could swim and just chat.

Patton dipped his hooves in the water, watching the ripples reflect the orange-yellow of the sunset. He took a sip of his hot chocolate and closed his eyes with a small smile.

He heard one of his husband's come outside and sit next to him.

"You know having sugar before bed will make you hyper Patt." Logan sighed.

Patton shrugged, "I wanted to watch the sunset."

Logan hummed, "well Virge just got back from a flight with Ang, Ro should be back with Sen at any time, and Nate, Rem, and Dee went to get some popcorn for movies later."

Patton smiled, thinking of their little Garuda, fawn, and Naga children, "sounds wonderful."

Logan kissed Patton softly, "I'll be inside if you need anything."

"Alright." Patton said, "love you Lo."

Logan smiled, "love you too Patt."

Patton closed his eyes and took a sip of his hot chocolate. He couldn't have wished for a better life.