9

T.W.: panic attack

"Shit! I'm so sorry!" Virgil yelled, pulling away.

Virgil spun around and took off, but his wings seized up and he crashed into the ground. He curled up on the grass, feeling reality slip into panic.

"Virgil!" Roman yelled, rushing over to the Garuda's side, "Virge, can you hear me?"

Virgil gasped a few times before nodding quickly.

"Can I hold you?" Roman asked gently.

Virgil shrunk further into himself, but nodded.

Roman carefully pulled Virgil into his lap, running his fingers through Virgil's silky feathers. The Garuda whimpered as Roman's hand brushed over his wing. Roman stopped.

"Are you okay?" He whispered.

Virgil nodded, "don't stop... please..."

Roman continued to smooth Virgil's feathers. Soon, Virgil's breathing evened out and he started to relax.

"Feeling better?" Roman asked quietly.

Virgil nodded and making no effort to get up said, "we should get back now."

"Yeah." Roman agreed, "do you want me to carry you?"

Virgil blushed and nodded. Roman hooked his arm under Virgil's knees and folded Virgil's wings under him. The human carried the Garuda back through the forest, keeping an eye on the trees. They were in no position to get attacked.

"Roman?" Virgil whispered after a while, "I'm sorry... for kissing you and stuff..."

"Its alright Virge, I would be lying if I said I didn't like it." Roman admitted, blushing.

Virgil smiled and closed his eyes, resting his head on Roman shoulder, "me too."

Roman smiled down at the Garuda in his arms. Then he frowned.

"Do you smell that?" Roman asked, "it smells like smoke."

"What?" Virgil said, lifting his head.

Virgil noticed the haze that seemed to be growing denser as they walked. A rustling came from in front of them and they stopped.

Then Patton stumbled out of the trees, holding on to Logan. Both of them were covered in ash and struggling to catch their breath.

"Oh my god!" Virgil yelled, slipping out of Roman's arms and running toward the merman and the fawn, "What happened?"

Tears carved a path in the soot on Patton's face. Logan pulled him into a hug.

"Someone started a fire." Logan said quietly, "Patton's house burned down."

Virgil took a step back, "What?"

"What are we gonna do now?" Patton asked, his voice small.

Logan sighed, "I don't know."

"You could come to my place." Roman offered, walking up to the group.

"No offense Roman, but you live in the human world." Logan sighed.

"But you all could easily pass as humans!" Roman argued, "and I have to get back anyway, I know my friends are worried and- oh no. I left my dog alone!"

"Alright! Roman calm down." Virgil said, "Logan, Roman has a point."

Logan sighed and rubbed his forehead, "I know."

"So we're going to a human city?" Patton asked, looking up at Logan with wide eyes.

Logan nodded, "Yes, it's the best option right now."

"Great! Now which direction is the city?" Roman asked, scratching the back of his head.

Logan sighed and started walking, leading the way.

"Okay! I can't wait for you to meet my puppy! He's gonna be so happy I'm back!" Roman rambled on as they walked to the city and Roman's house.