eight

before he moved to seoul, yang jeongin lived a nice and comfortable life in busan with his family which consisted of his mom, dad, and his hyung.

they were a bunch of happy and enthusiastic people living under one roof, they were insperable and they were content with that they have.

jeongin recalled the happy times they shared. how he and his brother would play with eachother and sometimes their parents joined in when they had time.

jeongin's dad had a stable job and his mom had a small home-based business so that she can look after her boys as she helped with the expenses.

"everything was fine, we all had eachother and we were happy." jeongin said with a small smile.

"until my mom got sick."

a young jeongin was crying in the hospital with his brother and dad when his mom collapsed at home.

it happened all too fast for his young mind to comprehend. thankfully, it happened on a weekend and their dad was home and was able to call an ambulance.

he didn't know what he would've done if he was home alone.

the doctor told them that their mother had lung cancer.

the doctor explained everything to them but it was all jargon and he didn't really understood the terms that he had used.

all he remembered was that he cried in his mother's arms that day as she whispered assurances that she'd be okay.

the doctor said that it was still curable and that there was a chance that she could get better.

jeongin didn't understand what his other words were but there was something that did catch his ear.

'she could get better.'

there was hope.

so he hoped.

their lives went back to normal after that, jeongin grew up and was now in highschool and was attending at sopa.

he didn't stay in a dorm. he traveled back and forth from seoul to busan. he didn't care that he needed to wake up earlier than normal just so that he could do it or cut down on his allowance to make said trips possible but if it was for his mom, he was willing to do it.

his mother was everything to him. she was his queen and he wanted everything best for her. he wanted to see her grow old and see him graduate, get married, and find a stable job and be successful so that he could repay her and his dad for everything.

one morning, as jeongin was quietly moving along his home, careful not to wake anyone up since it was still an ungodly hour.

"innie? is that you?"

jeongin turned around and saw his mom, wrapped in her bathrobe and gave him a warm smile.

she looked worse for wear to be honest, her eyes reflected the extensive therapy sessions she had to go through and the sleepless and painful nights she had to endure.

still, jeongin saw her as the most beautiful woman there is.

"mom! why are you awake?" jeongin whisper-yelled as he didn't want his dad to wake up.

his hyung was a few years older than him and was now working overseas so the house consisted of just the three of them.

"i got thirsty!" mrs. yang giggled as jeongin laughed along.