seventeen

hyunjin's home was transformed into a cutesy tumblr-esque style: the place was lit with candles, the lights were dimmed down, and what hyunjin loved was the polaroids of him growing up and polaroids if him now hung on string.

"d-do you like it?" jeongin squeaked nervously as he looked down as he fiddled his thumbs nervously.

"t-this was what you had planned?" hyunjin asked, in awe and for clarification to make sure his unpure thoughts would go ahead and leave.

jeongin nodded shyly, "w-we worked hard for this, i-it was a team effort really."

"oh please, you had this planned sin-" minho started but jisung clamped his hand on minho's mouth yet again.

woojin clapped his hands, "alright! let's go eat everyone, we shouldn't keep the food waiting now!"

"and our very special guests!"

before hyunjin could question it, he was guided into the kitchen where the kitchen island was full of a wide assortment of food, the table was set up to accomodate them, including

"mom? dad?" hyunjin said in surprise as he saw his parents there.

"surprise!" they said as hyunjin rushed towards them for a hug.

"i- i missed you guys so much." hyunjin said as they both coo'ed at the soft twenty year old.

"we missed you too love." hyunjin's mom replied.

"so damn much." his dad added.

"wha- why? i thought y'all were in europe or something?" hyunjin asked still confused as he let go.

his dad chuckled, "it was all thanks to your boyfriend here son, he called us and told us about this surprise he had planned."

"so of course we booked the first flight home!"

hyunjin beamed at jeongin, who was busy chatting with yeji and felix. he looked so happy and hyunjin couldn't stop staring at him.

"you must really like him huh? i'm really happy you found someone new baby." his mom had said proudly.

hyunjin tore his eyes away from jeongin for a second before replying to his mom, "y-yeah, i am too."

--

dinner passed by smoothly as the table was filled with cheers and laughter, the hwang family taking time to embarrass the birthday boy one by one and jeongin loved every second of it.

in return, woojin would talk about jeongin's childhood like the proud mom he was, making jeongin blush heavily.

"remember that scrapbook he made?" minho quipped, looking at jeongin while the younger's eyes had widened and betrayal was seen in his eyes.

jeongin felt heat creeping up to his cheeks as they all laughed, changbin awkwardly patted him on the back and then yeji asked,

"what's with the scrapbook?"

"he made one for the birthday boy." jisung added and jeongin wanted the earth to swallow him now.

'i hope you all choke on water.' he thought.

hyunjin laughed at that, "really? oh now i'm curious."

jeongin sighed and looked down, "i uhmm made a s-scrapbook of you and stuff, c-candid shots and stuff f-from school. i- i was planning on giving it to you i-if we became friends or something."

hyunjin's mom squealed, "this is so cute! ugh i stan!"

the table laughed, including jeongin, who was trying to hide his embarrassment. he heard his phone ding and a message popped up.

hyunjinnie
for what it's worth, i thought that was pretty cute.

he smiled and looked up to face the older, who gave him a cheeky wink.

"oh! i almost forgot your present!" jeongin squeaked as he got up from his chair and ran upstairs.

they blinked and heard jeongin run back down and gave hyunjin a big portrait.

"open it!" jeongin said, getting excited as the rest of them watched with anticipation.

hyunjin opened it and his eyes widened at what he saw.

a mosaic of his face was on the portrait, with a lot of small pictures making up the beauty of hyunjin. he was smiling in the photo and he looked so vibrant.

hyunjin looked up at him and jeongin gave him a wink.

"hope ya like it jinnie."

"i fucking love it."

--

jeongin was at the balcony, looking at the stars in the night sky when he felt someone stand next to him.

"beautiful isn't it?" hyunjin's mom asked and jeongin smiled,

"y-yeah, they are."

"i was hoping you'd be here, i was hoping for some one on one with you."

jeongin gulped and the older woman laughed, "chill hun, i ain't here to tell you to leave his ass or something."

jeongin sighed in relief, "oh thank god it's not like one of those confrontations on tv."

"nah, i ain't gonna be that bitch to get in the way of his happiness."

"so ma'am,"

"call me auntie sweetie."

"o-okay auntie, w-what do you want to talk about?"

she smiled at him before looking up at the stars, "has he told you about seungmin?"

jeongin's smile deflated a bit but he nodded nonetheless, "yes."

"good, that saves me the back story." she said and he chuckled.

"he was the first boy that hyunjin ever loved, he was jinnie's first real crush, and god, when the kims left for the states this year, hyunjin was devastated. he sealed himself shut, he didn't talk to anyone at all. i'm glad he had felix at the time but i felt like he trully hasn't healed yet."

jeongin nodded in understanding, "so imagine the surprise i felt when yeji called me saying that hyunjin found himself a boyfriend."

jeongin laughed nervously, "y-yeah it was a little sudden."

"a bit yeah, but then again if hyunjin could call you his boyfriend i guess that was a sign right? when we were on the plane on the way here i thought you were just a rebound and i wanted you to know that if it does happen to be like that then you could like leave him. i don't want you to suffer because of his choices in life."

jeongin looked like he was about to say something, but mrs. hwang put his hand up saying that she had something else to say,

"but then i saw all the effort you've given for this and how he looks at you and i guess there is some truth into this after all. that maybe my boy is healing after all."

hyunjin's mom placed her hands on jeongin's shoulders and looked at her with her warm and kind eyes,

"thank you for taking care of him for me innie. i want you to know i approve of you being with my son."

jeongin smiled wider when he got pulled into a hug, "thank you auntie."

"you know what? call me mom."

--

uwu this was soft.

well like i got nothing to say but thanks for reading!!

- ferds