3. Unfailing

It's You again God,

As I lay here waiting for You to speak, the word 'Unfailing' seems to be what I need to look at today. Unfailing in relation to Your character —specifically Your love. The words from Victory is Yours was playing over and over in my mind as I woke, especially the line that says Your Name is unfailing:

The victory is Yours
You're riding on the storm
Your name is unfailing
Though kingdoms rise and fall
Your throne withstands it all
Your name is unshaken

Your Name speaks of who You are and while You have many attributes, I am reminded that throughout Your Word, Your Name is love —You are love:

"And so we know and rely on the love God has for us. God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in them."
‭‭1 John‬ ‭4:16‬ ‭NIV‬‬

I can rely on Your love because You are love! David knew you well and often wrote of Your unfailing love:

"But I trust in your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation."
‭‭Psalm‬ ‭13:5‬ ‭NIV‬‬

"Let your face shine on your servant; save me in your unfailing love."
‭‭Psalm‬ ‭31:16‬ ‭NIV‬‬

"The Lord loves righteousness and justice; the earth is full of his unfailing love."
‭‭Psalm‬ ‭33:5‬ ‭NIV‬‬

"Show us your unfailing love, Lord, and grant us your salvation."
‭‭Psalm‬ ‭85:7‬ ‭NIV‬‬

"May your unfailing love be my comfort, according to your promise to your servant."
‭‭Psalm‬ ‭119:76‬ ‭NIV‬‬

David's Son Solomon to whom You gave great wisdom asked this question:

"Many claim to have unfailing love, but a faithful person who can find?"
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭20:6‬ ‭NIV‬‬

This is so revealing! We can try our best to have unfailing love in all our relationships but we won't ever be perfect! Only You can claim to have unfailing love!

A Bible passage often used in weddings talks of love never failing and often couples starting out their lives together strive to have this kind of perfect love:

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails."
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭13:4-8‬a NIV‬‬

The thing that some people don't realise is that the love that is being talked about is Your love —Your love never fails! Thank You that Your love never ends, is eternal and I can rely on it 100%!

Max Lucado sums Your love up so well:

"Governments will fail, but God's love will last. Crowns are temporary, but love is eternal. Your money will run out, but His love never will. How could God have a love like this? No one has unfailing love. No person can love with perfection. You're right. No person can. But God is not a person. Unlike our love, His never fails. His love is immensely different from ours. Our love depends on the receiver of the love. Let a thousand people pass before us, and we will not feel the same about each. Our love will be regulated by their appearance, by their personalities. Even when we find a few people we like, our feelings will fluctuate. How they treat us will affect how we love them. The receiver regulates our love. Not so with the love of God. We have no thermostatic impact on His love for us. The love of God is born from within Him, not from what He finds in us. His love is uncaused and spontaneous. As Charles Wesley said, 'He hath loved us. He hath loved us. Because He would love.'

Does He love us because of our goodness? Because of our kindness? Because of our great faith? No, He loves us because of His goodness, kindness, and great faith. John says it like this: This is love: not that we loved God, but that He loved us. — 1 John 4:10 NIV" (Faith Gateway)

I am so thankful that Your love for me doesn't depend on my ability to love or the attributes that flow from love. Even with Your Holy Spirit in me, I am not perfect —my love changes from moment to moment but with Your love in me, I am thankful that I can love others in a 1 Corinthians 13 kind of way!

I praise You and am so blessed that Your Name is unfailing —You are love!

In Jesus' Name,
Amen.