67. Holy Spirit Fire

It's You again God,

One of the greatest lies of the enemy is to make me think that I am not good enough and don't have anything to offer.  He often reminds me of what I can't do instead of what I can! He points out my faults and inadequacies. Oh how easy it can be to get derailed and start living a mediocre life as a Christian!

I am so thankful that You pointed out this verse to me this morning:

"For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands."
‭‭2 Timothy‬ ‭1:6‬ ‭NIV‬‬

I have the most amazing gift from You —the Holy Spirit! Thank You for coming to live in me but I sense from this verse that I have a choice.  Will I be satisfied with a little flame or will I be sure to tend this fire so it burns brightly?

I am reminded of a slow combustion fire we used while staying at our friend's cottage in the country. I was unfamiliar with the whole process of keeping the fire going. It was one thing to start it but the fire needed to be tended to be established and then really put out heat.  Whenever it started to look like it was dying down, there was a lever we could press which let in more air and resulted in more flames and heat so we were literally fanning into flame the original little spark that started the fire in the beginning.

I believe you intended for me to have experienced this kind of fire so I would get the concept of this verse. I pray that I would pay attention to tending this Holy Spirit fire that You started in me so long ago. I sense that whenever I connect with You like this, around Your Word, I fan Your gift into flame. I also know that meeting together with other Christians really helps.  Singing truths from Your Word and hearing them preached stirs things up! This always seems to make me more inclined to serve You using my gifts and to speak out boldly for You.

The lies of the enemy that sound like a broken record, cannot touch me today as I am choosing to burn brighter for You! I pray that as Christians unite, we will impact our communities and nations as the fire of Your Spirit spreads!

Until Jesus comes again,
Amen.