16. Make Disciples

It's You again God,

This morning, as I open the blinds and look out across my local neighbourhood, I am reminded of Your words Jesus:

"All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.""
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭28:18-20‬ ‭NIV‬‬

It is so exciting to think that the very fact that I know You is because this command was faithfully obeyed! Jesus You spoke with authority and so began the amazing process of making disciples of all nations! I could shrink away from doing my part by thinking that these words were only for Your first disciples but the very fact that You said 'all nations' indicates that You were speaking of an ongoing project which would carry on for quite some years —certainly beyond these men's lifespan!

As each disciple made a new disciple, the same message was passed on and was passed onto me as a young child. I am so thankful to have the very important job of telling people about You! At times I have tried to do this in my own strength but when I read Your last words as recorded by Luke in the book of Acts, I am reminded:

"But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.""
‭‭Acts‬ ‭1:8‬ ‭NIV‬‬

Lord I am so thankful for Your Holy Spirit living inside of me and providing the power I need in order to witness to others. I am equipped and ready to fulfil this great commission! May people clearly see You in me by the love I have for them which is evidence of Your Spirit dwelling in me.

""A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.""
‭‭John‬ ‭13:34-35‬ ‭NIV‬‬

The standard for the type of love required was set! Jesus I thank You so much for Your amazing, sacrificial love for me. Help me today to have this same love for others —especially those I find harder to love.

Making disciples of course indicates that I must share the gospel message with people so they can repent, believe and receive You as their Lord and Saviour but You also say to 'teach them everything I have commanded'.  After the new commandment to love, which covers all the others, the one that stands out to me involves letting my light shine:

"In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven."
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭5:16‬ ‭NIV‬‬

Please help me to shine —in my family, my neighbourhood and wherever You lead me.

For Your glory,
Amen.