4. Standing in Your Love

It's You again God,

This morning, You drew my attention to the delicate sasanqua camellia standing outside my window, which at the moment is in full flower. Delicate pink blooms seem to burst out of tiny buds daily and really brighten up our Autumn garden! Within a few days though, petal by petal, they begin to fall to the ground below forming a beautiful thick pink carpet almost as magnificent as the flowers themselves.

I was just thinking that I only ever notice this plant at this time of year when it is flowering. The rest of the year it just quietly stands there in the garden with its shiny dark green leaves. I don't think of the amazing way it's roots are growing deeper and deeper into the ground, searching for water and providing strength and stability for the rest of the plant as it gradually grows taller. I don't usually notice the new leaves that emerge after flowering in its season of growth or the way the plant reaches toward the light so it can photosynthesise. I certainly don't notice the plant in the weeks where it seems completely dormant but at this time it is still living it's life holding onto its firm foundation as it stands.

This has made me think of how the seasons of life come and go:

"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens:"
‭‭Ecclesiastes‬ ‭3:1‬ ‭NIV‬‬

While there are times of growth and of flowering where others may notice me blossoming and a time of bearing fruit, there are also times of apparent dormancy. However, whatever the season, I am always standing on Jesus the Rock —my firm foundation! My roots go deep to be nourished by Your love!

Standing in Your love, no storm that comes against me will cause me to wither! Sometimes the wind seems unrelenting but I am thankful to be firmly established in You! I do not need to fear! I am standing and becoming even stronger as the storms rage around me!

"The righteous will flourish like a palm tree, they will grow like a cedar of Lebanon; planted in the house of the Lord, they will flourish in the courts of our God. They will still bear fruit in old age, they will stay fresh and green,"
‭‭Psalm‬ ‭92:12-14‬ ‭NIV‬‬

I know that my camellia will keep on flourishing, bearing fruit even in old age and will stay fresh and green as it remains firmly established with its roots going down to the rock!

"When the storm has swept by, the wicked are gone, but the righteous stand firm forever."
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭10:25‬ ‭NIV‬‬

Thank You for reassuring me that I too will stand firm forever, despite the storms! Thank You Jesus for all You have done so I can flourish and look forward to bearing fruit even in my old age! When I think of those cedars of Lebanon that grow in the mountains, I remember that their roots are firmly established in the rock and their branches reach out to intertwine with the cedars growing alongside of them so that they can stand firm even when the strong storms beat against them. Lord let this be me as I remain rooted in You Jesus and may I reach out to fellow Christians so I can remain strong in my faith through the storms of life that come!

In Your precious Name,
Amen.

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

This song was on my mind as I wrote today and I think it is definitely linked to what God was saying to me. Have a listen on YouTube- it's a great song!

Stand in Your Love

When darkness tries to roll over my bones
When sorrow comes to steal the joy I own
When brokenness and pain is all I know
Oh, I won't be shaken
No, I won't be shaken

My fear doesn't stand a chance
When I stand in Your love
My fear doesn't stand a chance
When I stand in Your love
My fear doesn't stand a chance
When I stand in Your love

Shame no longer has a place to hide
I am not a captive to the lies
I'm not afraid to leave my past behind
Oh, I won't be shaken
No, I won't be shaken

My fear doesn't stand a chance
When I stand in Your love
My fear doesn't stand a chance
When I stand in Your love
My fear doesn't stand a chance
When I stand in Your love
Oh, I'm standing

There's power that can break off every chain
There's power that can empty out a grave
There's resurrection power that can save
There's power in Your name
Power in Your name

There's power that can break off every chain
There's power that can empty out a grave
There's resurrection power that can save
There's power in Your name
Power in Your name

My fear doesn't stand a chance
When I stand in Your love
My fear doesn't stand a chance
When I stand in Your love
My fear doesn't stand a chance
When I stand in Your love
When I'm standing in Your love

My fear doesn't stand a chance
When I stand in Your love
My fear doesn't stand a chance
When I stand in Your love
My fear doesn't stand a chance
When I stand in Your love

I am standing in Your love
I am standing on the Rock
My firm foundation, my firm foundation
Josh Baldwin