41. Like Poplar Trees

It's You again God,

One of the things I love about being in the country is the contrast between the natural bush and the trees that have been intentionally planted. Properties are often lined in some places with a corridor of trees, sometimes used as a wind break. One species of tree that I noticed over the weekend was the poplar tree. If I had been driving through the country a few weeks ago, I would have seen them in glorious golden autumn colour but now they are naked and look stark against the sky as they shiver in the cool winter breezes.

I enjoyed seeing these intentional poplar plantings and was reminded that these trees grow very quickly and to great heights, making them ideal for a quick wind break or ornamental planting along a driveway. The tree gets to great heights of up to 50 metres because of the amazingly strong and vigorous root system.

I wondered as I passed by rows of these tall, thin trees, am I a poplar Christian? Am I so firmly rooted in Christ that I am growing fast?

"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live your lives in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness."
‭‭Colossians‬ ‭2:6-7‬ ‭NIV‬‬

Is my growth all heavenward like these tall thin trees that seem to put all of their growth straight up to the sun as if seeking Your face?

"My heart says of you, "Seek his face!" Your face, Lord, I will seek."
‭‭Psalm‬ ‭27:8‬ ‭NIV‬‬

The other thing I noticed is that poplars are rarely planted alone. Am I standing alongside of fellow Christians, together growing and working for a purpose?

"I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus."
‭‭Philippians‬ ‭3:14‬ ‭NIV‬‬

"And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching."
‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭10:24-25‬ ‭NIV‬‬

The legacy of poplar trees goes on even after they die as they are used for building many things from furniture to house frames! Years ago they were used for manufacturing match sticks. I would love to think that my life would have purpose and leave a legacy, like a poplar used to bring light to many —bringing the light of Jesus to people even after I am gone!

Lord may each day of my life count as I grow —rooted and established in You! May I continually seek Your face and press on toward the goal alongside of fellow believers, nourished by Your Spirit:

"For I will pour water on the thirsty land, and streams on the dry ground; I will pour out my Spirit on your offspring, and my blessing on your descendants. They will spring up like grass in a meadow, like poplar trees by flowing streams."
‭‭Isaiah‬ ‭44:3-4‬ ‭NIV‬‬

For Your glory,
Amen.