41. W-what?

Alma's POV

"Oh my God, yesterday was such a rush." My sister walks into the living room, clearly exhausted.

"If you weren't downing all those shots, you wouldn't have this hangover right now." I shrugged, turning my attention back to my phone.

"Excuse me but I'm officially too cool for school. That alone, called for a huge celebration."

"Gosh. How are we even sisters?" I rolled my eyes.

"You know I'm the best thing that has ever happened to you." She smirked.

"Don't you have anything else to do? Maybe visit Pique or your friends or something? Cause I'm not gonna be able to handle being stuck with you in this house all day." I groaned.

"Actually, FYI I was on my way anyway." She stood up from the couch. I didn't even realize that she was all dressed up, until now. "Gérard and I are headed somewhere."

I made a face. "No but seriously, don't you two ever get tired of each other? Like damn. You're literally together day in and day out, that's gotta be exhausting."

She just rolled her eyes before telling me not to wait up. Literally graduated yesterday, now she thinks she's grown enough to tell me not to wait up.

After she left, I just made myself lunch before lazying around the whole afternoon. I had nothing to do and I was in no mood to go out.

My phone vibrated from the coffee table, grabbing my attention and I picked it up, seeing an unknown number on the screen. In all honesty, I wasn't even gonna bother answering it but something told me to.

"Hello?"

"Alma?" They asked.

"Yeah, who's this?"

They went quiet for a little while.

"Okay look, I'm a very busy person so you either speak up or I'll hang up." I rolled my eyes, growing impatient.

"Alma," They said hesitantly. "Alma it's me."

I was legit about to hang up because they clearly didn't have anything to say, and I would've came to the conclusion that maybe it's just one of those prank calls but then it registered. My eyes widened and I felt my eyes watering up. There's no way it could be her.

"M-Mum?"

"Yes honey, it's - it's me." She stuttered.

"Oh mum. I mi-" I cut myself off, suddenly feeling a wave of emotions washing over me. Why was she calling? What on earth could she possibly want when she stopped playing her role as a mom long ago.

"What do you want?" I asked, my voice was so cold that I didn't even recognise it myself.

"Ally," She started and I flinched at the sound of my nickname. One she used to call me by when I was a toddler. "Please listen to me." Her voice cracked.

I felt myself getting angry when I realised that she must be crying. Oh how typical. Sure, call your daughter that of which you've been absent in most of her adult life and try to manipulate her with your crocodile tears. Totally the way to go.

"You know what Erin? I really don't have time for this, or for you. I don't know what you want and quite frankly, I do not want to know. So do me a favour, don't call me again. Don't even think of calling Samantha too." I spat angrily, not even caring to call her mom anymore.

I was about to hang up when I heard words that no one ever wants to hear in their life. Ones that left my heart shattered in a million pieces.

"Your dad died."

"W-what?" I choked out.

"He died last night." She cried even more than she already was.

"But, but how? What happened?!"

"The chemotherapy and everything. He just- He stopped responding to treatment, he was just so weak and..." She trailed off.

My previously closed eyes, instantly opened, suddenly becoming alert.

"Dad had cancer?" I questioned. "And you didn't tell me?! How could you not tell us about this!" I shouted, not really caring anymore.

"I wanted to, trust me I did! But your dad... He said he wasn't there for you and Samantha and he didn't want to only come into your life when he's needing something or dying. Those were his words."

I ran my hand through my hair, pulling on it as hard as I could. Please tell me I'm having a nightmare. Please. Like, why is this happening?

"When is the funeral?" I asked, barely audible.

"In two days."

"Are you still living in Barcelona?"

"Yes, I'll send you the address." She said.

"Please don't call Sam, I'll tell her myself." And with that, I hung up.

Not being able to hold back anymore, I let the tears fall, crying and screaming as much as my body could allow me. We don't deserve this. We don't.

~

I must've fallen asleep because when I woke up, it was already dark and was due to the fact that someone was making noise around the house.

I stood up making my way to the kitchen, to find Samantha pouring herself a drink.

"Finally someone's awake." She remarks. But I didn't say anything.

"Why is your face bloated like that? Were you crying? You can't possibly miss Trent that much, come on." She laughed at her own joke.

How do I even break it out to her? She looked so happy, like genuinely happy. And I hated being the one to have to tell her the news that'll break her heart. But I would rather do it than let mom do it, it was better she heard it from me.

"Alma!" She shouted, and a giggle escaped her lips when I jumped a little. "You look so out of it. You know what, give me Trent's number. I need to tell him what his absence is doing to you." She smirked playfully and I had to blink back the tears.

I'm so sorry little sis.

"No, honestly. Are you okay?" She furrowed her eyebrows, suddenly getting concerned at how silent I was being.

"We need to talk, I need to tell you something." I spoke up for the first time since I came into the kitchen.

"Well?" She asked.

"Sit down." I pointed at one of the kitchen stools but she shook her head.

"No Alma just talk already!"

I sighed, placing my face on my hands before finally looking at her.

"I got a call earlier today." I start.

"Yeah?"

"It was - it was mum."

Her facial expression changed and I really couldn't read what she could possibly be feeling, since she just had that blank stare. "What did she want?"

"Samantha I'm so sorry, I-"

"Alma what did she want?!" She cut me off, her emotions now crystal clear.

"She told me that, that dad passed on yesterday." Saying the words hurt more than actually hearing them.

The glass that was previously secured around her fingers was now shattered in small pieces on the tiled floor. I rushed to her side, grabbing her hand but she snatched it away as she pushed passed me, running to the front door.

"Samantha! Samantha where are you going?! Sam!"

My calls landed on deaf ears as she sprinted to the driveway, getting into my car and she drove off. The fact that she was driving alone and in the condition she was in just made me sick to my stomach. I would literally die if something was to happen to her.