52. And?

Alma's POV.

"Babe." I hear someone whisper in my ear before I felt a gentle kiss on my cheek. "Come on, get up."

I groaned before pulling the bed cover over my head. "I don't want to."

"Why?" I felt him take a seat next to me.

I had ended up sleeping over at Trent's house yesterday since I didn't have the energy to drive back to my place.

"Because." I mumbled.

"That's not a valid answer." He said.

"Have you seen all the things that are being written and said on social media?" I asked, still under the covers so my voice was a bit muffled.

"And?"

"What do you mean and?" I finally sat up, turning to look at him.

"Who gives a fuck about what they have to say? I don't, and you shouldn't either." He said casually before getting off the bed.

I found myself frowning at how this whole thing seemed so easy for him to just shrug off like that. He must've noticed the look on my face because he walked over to where I was seating.

"What is it?" He questioned.

"I don't know, it's just - you seem to be taking all of this so well. Whereas I on the other hand..." I trailed off.

"What changed? I thought you didn't care what people had to say? Thought their opinions don't matter? Or maybe that's changed?" He asked and I don't know if it was me but he seemed to be getting just a little annoyed. I wasn't sure why.

"It's not that I care what people think-"

"Then why are we having this conversation right now?"

I furrowed my eyebrows, surprised by the way he was suddenly talking to me.

"Why are you so... Pissed? Why are you pissed at me? What did I do?" I asked, getting up from his bed.

"For fuck's sake, you've been here whining about all the shit you're seeing on the internet like you didn't expect that it would happen." He shut his closet door angrily.

"You know what Trent? I'm gonna leave now, reach out to me when you're done being a bitch." I walked past him, making sure to bump his shoulder on my way out. I legit had no clue where his whole attitude was coming from but I wasn't in the mood to even deal with it.

~

I hadn't heard from Valentina or Virgil the whole day but I didn't worry too much since I knew that they were most probably together. Virg was so protective of her that he wouldn't let her be alone, let alone at a time like this.

Unlike Trent and I.

You know what gets to me the most? It's the fact that he didn't even let me explain why I'm feeling the way I am. It's not that I didn't know that things were gonna get a little out of hand if everything got out, it's the fact that I'm going through this again. That is what's getting to me.

I had to deal with this in Barcelona and I'm expected to deal with it now. It's draining! At least Neymar didn't make me feel bad for feeling bad like how Trent is doing. That is what's throwing me off the most. I mean, am I expected to just sit and brush it off when people are busy calling me names on the net? Come on.

My phone rang, and I took my time before actually answering it. I honestly was in no mood to socialise.

"Hello?"

"Hey. Are you good?" The voice asks on the other end.

"Yeah Sam. I'm great." I responded when I realized who it belonged to.

"Are you being sarcastic?" She scoffed.

Was I?

"Anyway, I've been seeing articles after articles and I just wanted to hear how you were holding up." She continued.

"Well those people haven't really said anything yet, y'know, the 'verdict'." I shrugged. "I guess that's just what we're waiting on now."

"If it came down to you having to pick between him and your job?"

I sighed, running my fingers through my hair. "Call me crazy but I just got probably my greatest companion back, so I wouldn't exactly put anything before him."

"You're not crazy, you're just in love. And that's okay." She said.

I don't get why people keep on insisting that I'm in love.

"But you know, considering how Trent has been acting ever since this whole thing surfaced, I wouldn't exactly say that we're on the same page right now." I bit the inside of my mouth.

"What do you mean?"

"I don't know, like he's being really grumpy about the whole situation and the fact that it's taking its toll on me is frustrating him somehow. Which I honestly don't get because he's supposed to be fucking supportive. But well, he's not the one being called a hoe so I guess why should he care?" I muttered.

"Mhm, that doesn't sound like Trent at all. Maybe something's going on, like there's probably more to it than what he's telling you."

"No, he's just being an ass. That's all there is to it." I rolled my eyes.

"Go easy on him Alma. I'm sure he's in a difficult position and is going through some shit just like you are. I mean, just because they aren't blasting him and calling him names online doesn't mean he doesn't have it bad somewhere somehow." She said.

"After all these years, you still defend Trent even when he's wrong Samantha. Shocking."

"No I'm not defending anyone. Just think about it." She responded quietly.

"This is exhausting, you know that?"

"Alma you know Trent more than anyone, more than he probably knows himself even. Now, do you think he would actually admit it and straight up tell you that his world is crashing a bit? That guy is probably the most stubborn person we both have ever met and he will never admit that this whole situation is troubling and scaring him to death because he doesn't know what the outcome will be."

I just sat there, in silence, wondering how I didn't realize this sooner. My sister was there to get it right for me, again. It made so much sense. Trent would rather bottle everything inside than to actually let anyone in. I should've known that because I've seen it so many times before.

Even now, with everything that's going on, he's purposely pushing me away because he probably thinks it's what is best for me. Typical Arnold.

I soon ended the call with my sister, thanking her for the eye opening conversation, and I made a note to myself that I'll show Trent that no matter how hard he tries to push me away - I won't budge.

~