Prologue

It was an hour past twilight when a certain brunette stirred in her bed, she could tell she was in the middle of a dream but wasn't quite sure how.

She wasn't fond of dreams, they bought nothing but pain and sorry. She kept on changing her position but as fate would have it, she couldn't help but fall into one.

"Remind me again, how did we end up together?"

A voice, filled with love and sweetness to the depths ringed in the brunette's ears.

"I swear if I saw myself standing where I'm standing now, I would've never believed myself," the brunette replied, still in her early twenties and beautiful to her core. She was trotting beside a handsome man. He had dark raven black hair which shone under the moonlight. His broad shoulders and auburn eyes were what made him breathtaking. He kept adjusting the rimless spectacles which rested on his nose as if he was familiarized with it.

The raven-haired man laughed while kissing the brunette's forehead, he gently placed his hand around her swollen belly, embracing their unborn child.

"I think he'll look like me," he said, "But he'll be like you."

She laughed as she wrapped her hands around the man's neck, "Ailsa will have a heart attack if he turns out to be anything like you."

The raven man frowned, sounding a little hurt. "Am I that bad in your eyes?"

The brunette fretted as she slightly tilted her head, "No!" She replied, "you're the sweetest trouble maker I've ever met."

"That's settled then," he smiled as he wrapped his hand around her shoulder pulling her closer to himself while sharing his body warmth.

There was a crispness in the air, which hinted at the beginning of the cold month of January. They strolled together for quite some time, the wind brushing against them made their cheeks turn red. The fog which enveloped them started to turn thick as they went further in. The street light now flickered as they entered into a dark night. It wasn't until a strong gush of warm wind flew against them that the man finally started to sound trouble.

"What's wrong?" Asked the brunette as she laced her fingers in his, "are you worried about this morning? He didn't mean it sweetie."

The raven haired man humped in frustration, "That son of a bitch said I was better off dead, he can go to hell for all I care."

"Don't say that... it's a happy time, James, we won the war."

James smiled as he kissed her forehead. The war was over or so they'd been told. But James couldn't shake the gut wrenching feeling he'd been getting since the morning, something was about to happen, something dark and ominous.

"There's something wrong," he guessed as they stopped in their tracks.

The lady frowned and put her hand on his broad chest, "They are defeated honey, nothing is wrong."

But the man didn't agree, he turned back around with her and started to retreat back into the safe house from where they came from.

"Is something wrong?" she questioned with an apprehensive look on her face.

She was already in her late stages of pregnancy, he couldn't rush telling her the truth, "Nothing is wrong, love. What do you reckon we should name him?" He said, trying to change the topic.