Chapter 27 Annual Heat

Sans was usually in the back. Working on the machine you remember seeing in one of your timelines in the Underground. He never stopped working on it since you both got back from the hospital four days ago. Speaking of the hospital, Asriel was being sent home today. His soul was stable and nothing like Flowey has happened since the big fight last week. And... Chara... has been in her room since then.

You tried calling her cellphone, talking to her through your head, and even went across the street to see her yesterday, but she didn't even come out to greet you. When Toriel answered the door, her eyes lit up with hope. Pulling you to Chara and Asriel's room and told you to try and talk to her.

She never even unlocked the door... much less, say a word to you.

Right now, Sans was sleeping in the bed beside you. You rolled over, looking at his sleeping face. He looked so... at peace... More than he had usually looked. He looked so stressed all the time. You smiled softly and placed a light kiss to his forehead.

Not wanting to wake him up, you slipped out of the bed quietly, changing out of your clothes and heading downstairs.

"OH! FRISK!" Papyrus said loudly.

You put your finger over your mouth while pointing at the bedroom. He nodded and told you he was going to training today. You nodded back and he left smiling widely.

Work sounded like a good idea... but you were still pretty tired and it was already in the late afternoon. You don't skip work very often, and Joan even said to take a break and talk about the vacation with Sans.

Well... Sans was sleeping still, and you, being the most curious human known to man and monster kind, went snooping. It wasn't bad snooping, like spying on people like a creep, you just wanted to see what Sans' machine was.

You crept back upstairs and snuck back into the room, opened the top drawer of his dresser and rummaged around things to get his workshop key.

After grabbing the key you stepped outside and around the house to his little workshop. It wasn't very big, just as you remembered it. There was a machine in the back corner and a desk with blueprints and some drawers.

You looked in one of the drawers and pulled out a small photo with Sans and two people you don't recognize. One of them is human, probably a friend he had made while you were out at work and he was picking up "female products" for you and Chara. The other person is a monster, with long brown hair that covered their eyes, just like the humans. You took a closer look at both of them. The monster had freckles on their face and the human was wearing a green and yellow striped sweater. You flip it over, on the back of the photo it says "don't forget".

You figured it was some kind of joke that the three of them made up. Sans does that with people, making up things to remember them by. So you rubbed it off and put it away.

You looked at the blueprints on the table. As you guessed, they were for the machine in the back corner. The words looked like chicken scratch, but as you looked at it a little more, they looked like symbols. Almost like they were a different language entirely.

You took out your cell phone and took a picture of the strange lettering, maybe you would look it up later.

You heard fumbling inside the wall next to the house, and you knew Sans was up. You quickly closed and locked the door, and put the key in your pocket.

You walked into the house quietly, but with Sans now up and about, obviously looking for some food in the kitchen, he looked at you.

"where were ya?" he asked. "you weren't planning on going to work, were you?"