Chapter 84 White Vision

"Noelle?! Noelle are you in your room?!" Suzy whisper shouted through her bedroom window. "I'm home now! Sorry I'm late!"

There wasn't a response, and the monster became worried. What if Joan figured out that Noelle was talking to someone outside the house? What would he do to the poor girl?

With her head full of horrible scenarios that could be happening to her friend, she placed down her bag on her bed. She had done this only once before, and Noelle warned her that Joan could find out if she did it too often.

She grabbed one of her books and walked out of her room. She walked down the hallway, passing her father who was on the couch watching television. Suzy made her way outside and crept back to the side of the house where hers and Noelles met.

Then with one fluid motion, she threw her book into the neighbors backyard, over the fence. She did usually play sports or throw things, but landing the book perfectly in the yard made her feel proud.

She exited the small alleyway and walked up to her neighbors door. The reporters had left by the time she got home. Taking a deep breath in, she rang the doorbell. Almost instantaneously, she heard Joan rush something, or someone, out of sight of the doorway. And.... the door opened.

"Hello?" the man said, stern business look on his face. "Oh, it's you, Suzy. What is it?"

"H-hello sir! I was just wondering if.." She gulped. "If I could grab my book? Some guys threw it in your backyard again."

She grabbed onto a clump of stray hairs that fell out of her ponytail and twisted it around her finger. Joan looked blankly at her, contemplating who could have possibly stolen her book and thrown it into his yard. However, he had never remembered her ever lying to him, especially when it came to her school supplies.

"Oh. Uh." He scratched the back of his neck and looked back into the house. "Yeah sure, just one second."

He backed up and slammed the door in her face. There was a faint muffling of him shouting and shooing something.... Or someone... into a room of the house. Suzy shuffled her feet, waiting for him to reopen the door. There was incoherent yelling for a moment, before silence filled her ears and the door opened in front of her once again.

"Alright, come in" He said quickly. "Sorry about the wait, I had to quickly clean up the house a bit. I don't usually have visitors."

"Oh, that's alright." She knew he was lying, but played it off anyway as they passed the kitchen towards the back door. "I'm alright with waiting sometimes."

"I'm sure you are." Joan said, opening the glass door that led to the backyard. "Grab our book, I'll just be here."

She shivered. What on earth was she thinking?! This was wrong, horribly wrong in every way. Joan was probably going to watch her kneel down and pick up the stupid book, being the creep that he is. However that didn't matter. What mattered was that Noelle would now be in her room when Suzy got back home.

She walked carefully along the nicely cut green grass, noticing all the small dog toys that were thrown around the place. Seeing all of the pacifiers made a shiver go through her spine. Was life in this house really that bad for Noelle? Was she really treated like a baby and a pet?

Kneeling down to grab the hardcover that she had thrown over the fence, she looked behind herself unnoticed. Through the opening of her legs, she could see the man staring at her hunched over form.

She quickly stood up, book in hand. When she turned around, he had already had his phone out, tapping on the screen. She knew he wasn't taking a picture or anything, he was just playing it off as if he wasn't looking at her. So, still a little hesitant, she walked back up to the back door.