Rule number 1

(Phoenix's P.O.V.)
Mr and Mrs Dawson scare me and I can say for a fact that they scare everyone in the orphanage. I looked down at my plate. But before I looked down I saw the angry looks they always wore. Tina started to yell at one of the younger kids called Maria. While Dave just silently chuckled at the sight. I silently ate my breakfast further. I thaught myself not to interfere with them anymore. Not after what Mr Dawson did with me.

I was sitting in the shower as I cried. The hot water running down my body. I was trying my best to get the dirty feeling of me. But no matter how much soap I used. The gross feeling never washed away. And no matter how many times a brushed my teeth I could still taste the man.

A shiver ran down my spine as I thought of what happened before that. I looked back at Mrs Dawson who was still bullying Maria. My hand clenched around my spoon, I wasn't in control of my body anymore. One side of me was desperatly trying to get control. Wanting control over my own fear. It wanted to protect Maria so badly. But the other side of me told me not to. And reminded me of what will happen if I stand up and interfere. I closed my eyes and softly breathed out to calm myself. Suddenly a loud bang was heard. My body shot up and I looked to my right. Mr Dawson was standing next to me. I looked down and saw that he had placed a hand on the table. He probably made the loud bang by slamming his hand on the table. I gulped and looked back at his face. "Hello" he said making me shiver. It wasn't the word he used, but the way he used it. It was like he was downcasting you. His face was turned into a resentfull smirk, a look searching for dominance over the weak. Again, one side trying its best to fight. But yet my body trembled with fear under his gaze. Suddenly I was grabbed by my neck. My feet moving backwards and knocking down the chair I was sitting on. I was pressed against the wall. The harsh hands of Dave squeezing ever so slightly on my neck. I could barely breath. "What is rule number 1, Phoenix?" He asked in a sadistic tone locking his eyes with mine. "Not to look in your eyes" I replied. My mouth barely making out the words because of the pressure on my neck. "And what did Mrs Phoenix do?" He asked grinning, showing of his yellow teeth. "Looked into your eyes" I said gasping for air. I waited anxious trying my best not to panic, so I wouldn't need more air. The pressure increased. I realised I was still looking in his eyes. My feet moved to a tip-toe position and my head moved upwards, eyes looking at the ceiling. Desperatly searching for a way to find more air. I was janked closer to Dave before harshly thrown back in the wall, still having a hard pressure around my neck. The last bit of air that was in my lungs, escaped my lips when my back hit the wall. I was let go and I fell to the ground. I grabbed my stomach as I was trying to get some air into my lungs. "Don't forget number 1, Phoenix" he said laughing before walking away.