1 Pokémon I Choose You!

My eyes locked onto the Pokémon perched on my bedside table. "Okay, buddy, there are two kinds of Trainers in this world, ones who prepare for their journeys and ones who do not. We're going to prepare for this one, so let's get everything out onto the floor!"

Shinx barked happily, nearly knocking over a lamp in his enthusiasm.

We grabbed anything and everything that we could lift, tossing it all towards the center of the room. I cleared out my dresser, desk, and closet. Shinx pulled everything off the bed, sheets and all. Sprinkled on top, I dumped out the contents of my backpack: an infinite amount of pens, a notebook, and a granola bar.

"Gross," I gagged, wrinkling my nose and wondering how long the snack bar had been in that bag. It became the first item for the trash pile.

Hands on my hips, the messy junk mountain looked ripe for the picking. "Looks like everything's here!" I left the room for a moment and came back with a cardboard box. Upon spotting it, my cat Pokémon immediately jumped into the crate and sat. "Hey. This isn't for you."

Shinx curled up and yawned.

"If it fits, it does not sit. Now get out."

He fought back a laugh before bouncing up onto my head.

"So, here's how this is going to go." Adding my old bag to the trash pile, I placed a navy backpack onto the bed. "We pack anything we want to bring into this."

Admiring the bright material, Shinx pawed the bag. Traces of ice-blue and neon-yellow masked the pockets and zippers.

"Isn't it awesome? Volt got this for me. It even has our favorite colors."

He played with the zipper.

"Okay, come on. We need to get this done, and then we can play." I turned back to the empty cardboard box. "So, anything for the journey goes onto the bed. Anything we don't want to take with us, but still want to keep, we'll put in this box. Everything else goes to the dump or gets donated. I don't care. Volt will take care of that. Sound like a plan?"

Shinx dove into the pile like a ball pit.

We agreed to first gather the essentials. "Let's set aside some clothes, and my jacket, too." I put together a comfortable outfit for tomorrow and placed it on the bed, alongside a set of spares.

Shinx handed me a scarf. "Ooh, some clothes for different weather. Good thinking." I scratched his head as thanks, setting aside the scarf, a pair of thick gloves, a swimsuit, and thick socks.

A toothbrush and a hairbrush beckoned for me to free them from the pile. "We're going to need these, too. My hair wouldn't last a day without being brushed. Can you gather some of the basic supplies for me?"

He found a water bottle, a flashlight and extra batteries, a lighter, a multi-tool, and a first aid kit.

We examined the contents inside the kit. "Good, everything we bought yesterday is in here. I've got enough people and Pokémon medicine to last us a few weeks." I shoved the kit into my bag. "What else?"

Shinx barked and pulled on my blanket.

"Ah, yes, it might get cold some nights."

A tent, sleeping bag, and cooking supplies sat up beside the bed. "Right. We'll need those, too." I packed them away with ease. Lastly, Shinx brought me his brush. We sorted everything else into either the keep box or the trash pile. "Ok, I think we've got everything. Good work, Shinx!" We high-fived.

We heard a knock on the door, and a head of spiky, blond hair poked through. "What's with all the noise, Rosa? It's the middle of the night!"

"Volt, did you really expect me to sleep?" I asked.