Chapter Two

Rayne's POV

Today we were getting Dad's will read. The solicitor was arriving at the house in ten minutes and I was still sitting in my room moping. There was a quiet knock on my bedroom door,

"Come in." I croaked, my throat sore from crying. Rose entered the room and sat on the edge of my bed. I kicked my covers off and made my way over to where Rose was sitting and hugged her tightly. She hugged me back and quietly cooed.

"C'mon Rayne, you need to get ready." I nodded and pulled away from her. "How are you doing Rayne?" She asked.

"I'm getting along, but its weird. I've only ever had dad. You know I don't even know what mom sounds like, he was all I had, everything I remember from when I was younger was either him or Ollie." She nodded and then said,

"After the will reading, I'll find my phone from my teen years, it has a video on it of mom and dad together. I'm surprised he never showed you it." I nodded and stood up and walked into my closet. I picked out some sweatpants and a black and blue tee-shirt. I stepped out and saw Rose waiting for me. She stood up and gripped my hand softly, "Are you ready?" I nodded and we walked out of the door. We made our way downstairs and into the dining room. It was me, Ollie and Rose around a table as the solicitor started.

After abut half an hour of going through the legal stuff first, he handed us all a note each that dad had written. Then the solicitor handed me, Rose and Ollie a box each. Then she stated. "Rayne your father has stated here that you are to take over half of his business in Russia, like you planned to do before he got ill." I nodded. "Oliver, you are to inherit the house and a couple of properties of which the papers will be sent to you once everything is sorted out with the paperwork." Ollie nodded. "Rose, you are to inherit some of your father properties and you are also inheriting a lump some of just over $10 billion each." I nodded and let myself slip back into the chair, we did some more paperwork and then the solicitors left.

"So were all going to open our letters out loud. I'll start, oldest to youngest." Rose stated and opened her letter. She skimmed over it, her eyes welled with tears, she took a deep breath.

"It says. . . Dear Rose, you were what brought me and your mother together. You were our first child and you are such a fantastic daughter. I know losing your mother was hard for you and then you still managed to deal with me. I can only thank you for why I am still here today, if you didn't talk me down then . . . well lets just say you wouldn't have been reading this. You took the reins from my hands and have done such a good job, you have managed to run a mafia, raise kids and maintain a healthy relationship. That is all I could ask of you baby girl. I love you, take care of you family and look after yourself."

Ollie was next. "Okay, mine says . . . Dear Ollie, I know I haven't always been the best dad to you, and I'm very sorry for that. You made me proud every day, I know your mothers death hit you very hard, as you always were and probably will always be a momma's boy. I hope that you and your family live out long happy lives together. I will always be watching over you son. I love you take care of your family and look after yourself."

Then it was me, they looked at me expectantly. "Mine says . . . Dear Raynie, your my baby girl and I love you. You are one of the very few things that brought me back after your mother died. Both she and I love you very much Rayne. I want you to be able to get on with your life, I really do. I will always be watching over you and your siblings. I know you have always struggled with your mother not being here, I tried to give you some closure but to be completely honest I couldn't relive it again. If you really want to know what happened to your mother in full, Ollie will help you find the CCTV footage of that day or you could get Rose to tell you. You're so young and have a full life to live. Go live it, do whatever you want to do, don't go straight into work. Please, promise me that you live your life, find love because it is the most amazing thing in the world, have plenty of kids and live a life full of love. I love you Raynie. Take care of yourself and live, I love you baby girl." I could feel myself choking up towards the end and Rose took one of my hands in her own and as did Ollie.

"Lets open the boxes okay." I nodded and we all opened the boxes at the same time. Mine had a USB in it with a post it note attached to it that read, "Watch this." I took it and toyed with it in my hands. There was also a couple of pictures of him, my mom and me as a baby I'm presuming. Rose looked over my shoulder and then said,

"I remember taking that picture, you were about a week old and mom and dad wanted me to get a picture of the three of you." I smiled as a tear rolled down my cheek. I stood up and walked out of the room and up to my room. I pulled my laptop out of its drawer and plugged in the USB. The video file came up and I clicked on it and made it full page. I turned up the volume when a woman appeared on screen.

"Hello Rayne if you are watching this both me and your father have passed, I want you to know that I love you very much, you will always be my baby. I want you to know that I am proud of you no matter how old you are, I am very proud of you. You may wonder why I am making this video, I have been receiving some threatening texts and calls, I have a feeling that my end is near and I am okay with that. At this moment in time you are a clever little one year old that never fails to make me smile. Now on the topic of your father, on the note I left for him, I told him to wait until he had passed because I wanted you to be old enough when you watch this." She stopped and took a couple of breaths her eyes filling with tears, "I love you Raynie, you, your brother and sister are my pride and joy. I'm sure that your father raised you well, maybe even with me if I survived what's coming. Just remember this Raynie, you can do whatever you want. You can love whoever you want and be who you want to be. I love you Raynie. I really do, I love you." A couple of tears streamed down her face, she smiled at the camera and then turned the camera off.

The screen on my laptop went black as tears streamed down my face. I turned my laptop off and sat on my bed as tears continued to stream down my face in their abundance. I got all that I've ever wanted, to hear her voice, to see her move, to hear her tell me that she's proud of me. My sobs were loud and seemingly bounced off of the walls. Rose and Ollie burst into the room and pulled me into their arms.

"What happened Raynie?" Ollie asked and I pointed to my computer, they rewound the video and watched it eagerly. Rose and Ollie sat almost mesmerised listening to moms voice.

"Its been so long since I heard her voice." Rose reminisced. I sat there as I watched them, Ollie shut down the video and then said,

"Anyway, Rose. Don't you have something that will boost the mood a little bit?" She nodded and pulled out a really old looking phone, nothing like we have today. Rose chuckled at my reaction, responding

"Believe it or not but this was a top of the range model when dad first bought it for me." Rose unlocked it and opened up a video. She then cast it onto the TV and I watched it eagerly. Mom and Dad were sat in a car hand in hand as they both belted out the lyrics to a song that I've never heard before. A smile came over my face as I watched. They both looked so happy as they sung. Ollie and Rose smiled as they watched occasionally laughing at them.

"What song is that?" I asked and Rose chuckled,

"Its Sugar Were Goin' Down by Fall Out Boy, it came out nine years before I was born when mom was fifteen and dad was eighteen. According to them they were classics. They always had their music playing in the car." Both her and Ollie chuckled fondly at the memory. I sat back and listened to them talk about her and dad as I let myself finally comprehend. Well that was before I cut in,

"I want to see the CCTV footage of the day mom died." Both Rose and Ollie looked at me like I was mad, but one way or another I was going to see that footage.

...