Chapter Twenty-Four

Illeya's POV

Guilt.

I was overwhelmed with it. It physically pained me to see Rayne this way. Not to mention what that bitch had done and how that would impact our future, but we could adopt, we could get a surrogate. It really broke my heart seeing Rayne blame herself like that. If I had woken up an hour earlier and gotten to the jet on time, then maybe I would have been at the house been able to protect her. But I wasn't.

We made it out of the hospital and I could feel how tense she was as I carried her into the car and then folded the wheelchair carefully and placed it in the back of the car. I quickly walked around to the drivers side and pulled her seatbelt over her as she, being Rayne tried to be independent and do it herself but she simply couldn't. I then did my own before gripping her hand softly as I drove off.

"Is there anything you want to get from your sisters or do you just want to go straight to the jet?" I asked as we approached the freeway. She paused for a moment before she shook her head no. No verbal responce what-so-ever and that was a dead giveaway that she was battling with herself and there was nothing that I could do to turn off those lurking dark thoughts in her mind. I took a breath and then drove humming to the quiet pop songs on the radio.

We arrived at the airport and I took the wheelchair out of the boot of the car and unfolded it  before carefully placing Rayne back in it and pushing her through the airport before we got to the jet. Rayne was clearly at war with herself, she sat there on the plush leather seats, seatbelt pulled securely across her lap. My eyes met hers and she let out a small and may I add blatantly fake smile. Her eyes gave it away, they were bloodshot and glassy. Her beautiful brown eyes looked dead, not the slightest glimmer of hope in the beautiful pools of her eyes. Not the slightest drop of happiness in them. She then muttered something along the lines of,

"I just want to be a mom." Before the damn broke and she burst into floods of tears. I pulled her into my arms and tried to coax her out of this, but she used her good arm and pushed at my chest. Her cried were heartwreatching and I couldn't let her go through this alone. "Illeya please. Just stop. Leave me alone." Her cries became more frequent and I held her tighter before she forced out in a more demanding tone, "Leave me alone Illeya. Get off me now." Her voice was empty. It scared me, the lack of emotion in her voice even though she shed hundreds of tears.

So be it. I let go of her. I held my hand out and slowly intertwined my fingers with hers. She didn't reciprocate the gesture, but I squeezed her hand softly, just to remind her that I was still here.

About two hours into the five hour long flight Rayne had passed out, her eyes baggy, red and swollen. Her head rested on my shoulder as I finally had some time to reflect on everything.

This week has been anything but peaceful, the ongoing conflict with the English and Mexicans was a pain in the ass but manageable. We had surveillance on them and knew their plans thanks to a mole whom of which we'd found the day after Rayne left. It wasn't a gang member, it was one of the maids. Which caught me off guard but come to think of it they hear everything and it explains why the attacks were more personal and even hit us during impromptu occasions like going to that restaurant which I had been talking to my second about the night before when we were eating dinner. Then this bombshell of Rayne getting seriously injured.

When I arrived at the house, there she was at the bottom of the staircase. Her body was a state, it was horrific. She was out cold but was still whimpering in pain. Her body was accompanied by a large pool of blood that slowly dripped down the stairs, her leg was at a most unnatural angle and her arm was. It was well, at a horrendous angle with the bone protruding out and piecing the skin slightly. Her body itself was bruised and mangled, scrapes and scratches lined her perfect skin. I picked her up, no thought towards anything else but getting her to a hospital. I felt her pulse, it was so weak. I honestly thought that I was going to lose her. The love of my life, the only thing that keeps me going in my day to day life. It would be my dream to start a family with her, hell it still is. Many a night I had fallen asleep and found myself envisioning a picturesque town house, Rayne, me, two little rascals that we called our own. Two girls. Just like their mother, beautiful, kind and sweet but also fierce and stubborn to a fault. I could only ever dream of that and the news of Rayne's high potential for infertility was like a dagger through the heart. She was my one chance for redemption, my one chance at a better life. I may have been born into the mafia but I can leave. I have a choice unlike others. Rayne clearly doesn't want this life, she wants out. This harsh life was never for her.

All it would take was another conversation with Rose, who I had already discussed this with and she had agreed that after everything that had happened it was time to give Rayne a life away from this. She understood my hesitations and as soon as the current situation was resolved I could take Rayne away from all of this hardship and give us a safe life away from all of this.

But first something needed to be done about Remington Green and his goons who thought that they could mess with us. Time to teach them the quintessential lesson that no-one fucks with the Russian mafia and gets away with it!

...