Chapter Twenty-Two

Rayne's POV

Fear crept up my spine as the woman held me, I took a deep and shaky breath, my heart palpitated in my chest as she moved the knife closer to my neck. Its serrated edge digging into the soft flesh. I was a mere centimetre away from life or death, what my father taught me rang around in my head. But I was frozen still. I couldn't move, my blood ran cold in my veins and I was utterly powerless.

The alarm hadn't even sounded, they were smart. 

"Follow me and no-one will get hurt." She uttered, her voice spilled with disgust and pride. The thought of anyone in my family getting hurt tore a hole in my heart, made bile rise in my throat. The floors quietly creaked as I followed her. I was at her mercy, I was weak and inferior. I followed her, the knife still closely latched around my neck. I'm not a religious person, but in that instant I prayed, I prayed that my family would be okay. I don't care about me, I care about them.  "Follow me, you are going to make a great prisoner." I gulped, my palms sweaty as I attempted to think my way out of this situation. We soon passed the first staircase, which meant that their exit route was the emergency exit route under the house. Taking another shaky breath, I followed her every command. 

As we got closer to the emergency door, that led to underneath the house, she rooted around in her jacket with her free hand and pulled out a shiny pair of metal handcuffs. She gradually removed the knife from my neck as she cuffed my hands behind my back. I was well and truly fucked, to say the least. But I had to try.

I brought my elbow up and attempted to hit her face. Success, she stumbled backwards, grasping at her bloodied nose. Her eyes shut and her breathing heavy. I need to run. But if I do then who knows what she'll do. We were close to a staircase, and she was about to attack. She ran up to me and swung an unsuccessful punch. I ducked and avoided her gross, bloodied hand, and took that opportunity to kick her back onto the banister. A new thought came to mind. Her eyes shone with the anger of a thousand wronged men and she let out a cry of battle. Seriously, what year are we in the bloody thirteen hundreds. I think the fuck not. She again got closer to me and I pushed all of my body weight forwards and pushed her off of the banister and down onto the floor at least thirty metres below me. She, however plunged her knife into my gut just before she fell, the pain spread effortlessly throughout my abdomen and i cried out as she let out the bloodcurdling scream and thud that announced her timely death. Ha bitch never come after a Marshall.

I took a pained breath and pulled out the blade before calling out for help.

"Rose! Noah! Rosaline! Kids! Anyone help me please!" I cried as I stumbled along the long corridor leaving larger and larger pools of blood the further I travelled. I started my descent on the stairs hoping that one of the guards could help me. After about two stairs, the world around me span and I took a breath hoping that it would clear. But, it didn't and my vision began to tunnel, within mere seconds darkness enclosed all around me and I fell. I could feel my body fall down the marble staircase and can I tell you, it fucking hurts. I felt like I was fading. The wound in my gut was deep, very deep. As my body stopped falling I slowly allowed everything and every feeling around me to fade.

...

Beep! Beep! Beep!

There was something on my face, over my mouth. What the fuck is it. Get it off. I attempted to move my arm to remove this thing on my face, but it wouldn't move. I tried to open my eyes but they wouldn't open.

The speed of the beeping increased and I began to panic. My breathing increased and this bloody thing on my face wasn't helping. I felt a single tear fall down my cheek. I wasn't in control of my own body. My throat was sore and dry. My head rang with an agonising headache. Then my eyes opened. The light of the room blinded me, as I winced in an attempt to adjust to the light. A blurry flurry of people raced into the room and removed the mask of my face and took a deep breath. I inwardly sighed at the relief and then looked down at my wrist.

Wires and needles stuck out of my wrist, one a dark red, almost black, but not quite. Another clear, another just a white tube.My breathing picked up the pace again as someone said,

"Miss Marshall, you need to calm down. You are in safe hands." This did not calm me down, in fact did the opposite as I attempted to thrash my body against the bed, but my weak state denied me of that.

"Where am I? What are you doing to me? Why am I here?" They looked at me like I was mad.

"Miss Marshall. You are here in the hospital because you were stabbed in the abdomen and then fell down a flight of marble stairs. You had to have a blood transfusion and you fractured you collar bone and your left shoulder. You broke your tibia in two places in your right leg and broke your humerus in your right arm as well. But you probably can't feel that because you are on a very high dosage of pain killers. Do you want me to get your family?" I nodded and the nurse who had been talking to me headed out of the room. Within a couple of minutes Rose and Ollie entered the room. They rushed up to the bed that I was in.

"Raynie, don't ever do that to us again. Please." Ollie pleaded, his eyes sincere. I looked up at him and Rose.

"Did she die?" Their eyes met and they asked in unison.

"Who?"

I sighed, "The woman who stabbed me, I pushed her off the banister, I presumed that she died.But I didn't get to check well because she stabbed me." They shook their heads. I swallowed the lump in my throat. They watched over me for a minute before Rose said.

"Rayne. I hate to say this, but where she stabbed you. The knife it penetrated your ovaries and they have said that there is a very high chance that you are infertile. I'm so sorry." Her and my brothers face dropped and tears fell in their masses down my cheeks.  Rose then spoke up again. "They've taken some of your eggs and frozen them, in case it is worst case scenario and you want to have biological children but the odds are not good." A sob escaped my parched throat and Rose and Ollie tried to hug me. 

"Rayne. kraosoka." A voice announced. Illeya. Rose and Ollie stepped away and Illeya approached me. His lips pressed against my forehead and my heart fluttered as tear continued to stream down my face.

"Leya." I sobbed quietly, he held me his tired eyes filled with pity and fear. I tried to calm down, but I couldn't and announced through heaving sobs.

"Illeya, I. . .  I can't have kids anymore."

...