Chapter Nineteen

Rayne's POV

Illeya's hand was laced with mine as we slowly walked from shop to shop. The paths had a small dusting of snow that fell as we walked. It was a chilly day, after a couple of hours of shopping and me and Illeya had arms full of bags. We made our way back to the car and placed the bags in the boot of the car. He drove off and stopped outside of a restaurant. Illeya got out of the car and then came around to my door and opened it. I got out and grabbed Illeya's hand. He led me into the restaurant, we were shown to a table out on a balcony that overlooked the city. We sat down at the table, I looked over at the view. It took my breath away, it was truly beautiful.

"Hey Rayne." Illeya started and I turned to face him, he grabbed my hand softly and held it out on to the table, he rubbed my hand softly. My eyes met his, his amazing grey eyes were soft and I could feel all of my worries leave my mind, in that moment. I truly realised that he was the only one for me. My heart warmed as the sides of his lips turned up forming a small smirk. I was falling in love with him, correction. I had already fallen and was unable to get back up. I was head over heels in love with Illeya and there was nothing that I could do about it. "I . . . I-" He stopped and sniffed the air, "Wait do you smell gas?"

Worry crept up my throat as I sniffed the air, the familiar scent filled my nostrils as I grabbed his hand and ran as fast as I could. Illeya ran with me, we were about twenty feet away from the building when it erupted into a ball of vicious flames. The strong force from the explosion pushed me and Illeya forward and we fell to the ground. My heart pounded in my chest, as I felt the bile rise in my throat. Illeya sat up and pulled me into him, I wrapped my arms around his neck and clung onto him, never wanting to let go. The creaking of the wooden info structure of the restaurant as I burned and fell was like nails on a chalkboard. Tears streamed down my face as I breathed,

"I'm so glad you're okay. I don't know what I would have done if we'd noticed it a minute later." He pulled me closer to him,

"Hey. Its okay. We're fine, shush. Calm down Rayne." He cooed quietly, rubbing my back softly. I pulled away from him and looked over at the building. I then looked down at the car, it was the car that me and dad always took when we were in Russia. I breathed a sigh of relief to see that it was okay.

A loud creak sounded as a beam fell from the building onto the car, and then the car burst into a ball of flames with a loud bang. The car had been rigged too. What the fuck, we'd been in that restaurant for what ten, maybe fifteen minutes and someone had gassed the restaurant and had put a bomb in the car. I was knocked breathless, there were so many memories that me and dad had made in that car. From long car journeys across the country or short drives filled with sing a longs. To telling him about my days at school or what I'd done that day, to him telling me about his day, or stories about mom and what they did in Russia all those years ago. Within seconds of the car blowing up, Illeya had called back at the compound and had ordered a form of transport back there. We clearly weren't safe here. Once Illeya got off the phone, he wrapped his arms around me as I shivered slightly.

"Are you cold? Here take my jacket." He handed it to me and I quickly put it on before leaning into his warm frame. His strong arms held me as I laid my head on his chest. His chin rested on top of my head, the distant sirens of fire engines and police cars and ambulance crews drowned out the sound of the burning building in front of us. An army of emergency service vehicles appeared on the road in front of the restaurant and there was a rush for them to get to work. A police officer must have spotted us sitting on the icy grass and slowly approached us.

Illeya and I cautiously stood up, my legs were shaking as the adrenaline that had previously coursed through my veins was long gone and replaced with an aching fatigue. I swayed slightly as I stood, Illeya held my waist tightly pulling me into him, whispering quietly in my ear,