Chapter Forty-Four

Rayne's POV

The day had flown by, me and Illeya had closed the bookstore a little early and then headed back home to change. Illeya had changed into his classic three piece suit. The black fabric clung to his body perfectly and emphasised his fantastic physique. His white shirt was pristine and he wore a blood red tie to match my velvet A line maxi dress, which was in the same colour. I pinned my hair back in a fishtail bun and the threw on a pair of red Louis Vuitton kitten heels.I grabbed my black Dolce and Gabbna handbag and laced my arm in Illeya's ads we walked down to the car. I knew that we were very much so overdressed and we were both wearing a lot of designer brands but I mean, we're taking the Lamborghini so we might as well go all out. I quickly placed my small pistol in my bag, just in case. Illeya spotted me doing this and sighed,

"Rayne, we're safe now, you don't need to carry a gun around everywhere." I gave him a tight lipped smile and then whispered,

"Old habits. It can never go wrong though can it?" He chuckled and then sighed, this time one of exhaustion.

"You'll never lose that mafia mentality will you?" 

I shook my head no and replied, "Leya, whether I'm in it or not I'm a target. There is a massive red cross on my head at all times. I can't ever lose my mentality or forget my training. You on the other hand can, you are not a blood relation to the Pakhan or the capo of the Italian mafia. I need to be vigilant. I'm sorry if it worries you but I am a born and bred Marshall. I can't avoid that, its in my blood." I glanced over at him, our arms still linked. He pressed a soft kiss to my lips and then continued on to the garage.

"I get it." He sighed, "Just don't ingrain it into Micheal please. He should be able to live the normal lives that we never lived." I nodded and quickly got into the passenger side of the car. Illeya quickly got in the drivers side and drove out of the open garage door, before pushing his hand out of the window and shutting it with the remote. It shut and Illeya sped off the drive and onto the main road. Micheal was playing at a small basketball stadium a couple of miles away from the centre of town. His school took them there so we didn't have to. The match started at  half four and it was quarter to four when we set off. We arrived at the stadium at four and parked in the ample parking spaces in the car park. Illeya got out and motioned for me to stay in the car as he walked around to my side and opened my door, as it opened, Illeya held his hand out for me and I took it stepping out of the car. We waltzed into the stadium and we got quite a lot of looks from other parents and staff at the event. We found seats near the front and sat there, hand in hand.

Time seemed as if it had stopped as we waited for it to start, we were both nervous. I could hear Illeya's foot nervously tapping against the concrete floor of the stadium. A couple found the seats next to us and sat down, despite the hundreds of seats on the outskirts of the court. I quickly tapped his leg telling him to stop and he did. He placed his hand on my thigh and pressed a soft kiss to my cheek.

"It'll start anytime soon, kraosoka." I smiled and placed my ringed hand over his hand that was resting on my thigh.

"So, which kid are you here for?" The woman who had sat next to us asked, her eyes seemingly analysed us as we sat there, "You look very young to be parents." She continued, even though there was no reason to announce that observation,

"Micheal Alekseev." Illeya commented and I moved slightly closer to him,

She started again, and I fought the urge to roll my eyes, "So is he your brother, nephew, cousin?" I really fought the urge to bite but I hung on in there,

"Actually-" Illeya started but I cut him off,

"He's our son. And I know yes we look young but trust me when I tell you that someone's age does not define their parenting." I bit, dammit. Dad always said that was one of my flaws, I would do anything to protect those I love, but sometimes I would go to far and bite way to easily. I reached down to my bag to get my chewing gum, and pulled it up to my lap. Illeya glanced over at me, a slightly worried expression on his face. I chuckled and pulled out a packet of gum and offered him a piece that he took. I then whispered in his ear, "Don't worry, I'm not gonna shoot her just yet. If she speaks to us again then my finger might just slip as I go to the bathroom. Don't worry I've got a silencer on it." He chuckled and then whispered back,

"I don't think you're finger slipping would be helpful." I let out a small laugh, as I moved closer to him, the speaker sounded and started telling us about the teams and the people on each as they filtered out onto the court. This was the city event and if they won they would go to the regional event. I waved at Micheal who stood there confidently all kitted out. He smiled at us and then he took his place ready for the game to start. 

At half time, Micheal's team was winning fourteen to six. Micheal headed over towards us having five minutes left of half time,

"Hey mom, dad. Why are yous all dressed up?" I smiled and then hugged him,

"Well, since we took the Lamborghini we figured that we would have to make some kind of appearance and it just so happens that my family's colour and your teams colour is the same so red just made sense. Plus, your dad looks amazing in three piece suits so why not." I winked and Micheal chuckled slightly. I pressed a kiss to his forehead and then said, "Go on, go win this game kiddo. We're so proud of you and when this is over I have a small surprise for you." He nodded and ran back off to join his team. I placed my head on Leya's shoulder and then settled back into him.

"So, what's this so called secret. I know you're birthday is coming up but whats going on. What have you arranged?" I smirked and then whispered,

"You'll find out when I tell Micheal." I pressed a soft kiss to his cheek and then watched as the game resumed play. Micheal's school was still winning, there were five minutes left of the game, it was close very close. Micheal's team was only ahead by one basket, (two points) Micheal had the ball and was dribbling towards the basket. A taller boy, approached him and went to take the ball, he expertly turned and as he went to throw the ball to his teammate the boy swiped his legs and he fell onto the court face first. Me and Illeya jumped up, shock painted both of our faces. The referee went over to him as he laid there motionless. The referee nudged him and he still didn't move. Shit. Fear clutched onto my heart like a cat on a tree. We rushed over to him and Illeya quickly picked him up and brought him over to the side. His eyes were shut, his nose bleeding profusely. While the referee dealt with the boy who had done this, the coach rushed over to us. It looked like his nose had broken and he had fallen unconscious due to the hit he took to the head. A nasty bump and bruise was already forming over his forehead. Illeya took a tissue from his pocket and held it over his nose, waiting for more medical assistance from the coach. 

It wasn't that serious, compared to what we had faced, I mean in the past year alone I have been shot, stabbed, fallen down a flight of stairs whilst bleeding out and almost blown to smithereens twice. Illeya shot and beaten up. We knew pain, but there was something different when it came to Micheal, we knew he would be okay but he was our son. He was ours to protect. We had held his head up and soon there was a medic by our side. He placed an ice pack over this forehead and have us a cloth to put over his nose until it stopped bleeding. Soon he opened his eyes and moaned out quietly in pain. 

"Thank God, you're awake. How are you feeling?" He looked up at Illeya who had asked the question, a crowd of players and other parents had gathered around us. I smiled at him and Illeya helped him up. He wobbled a bit but then found his balance. He took the cloth from Illeya and held it over his nose himself.

"We're going to take him home. Could you have one of his team mates tell him the score when this is over?" I asked the coach and he nodded. I wrapped my arm around his back and walked with him out into the foyer of the stadium. He started to sway slightly on his feet again and Illeya and I grabbed his back just in case he collapsed. He didn't thankfully and we took him out to the car and sat him in the back. As we started our drive home Micheal fell asleep and ever so often we would hear a soft snore.

"I should have killed that boy. I had my gun. I could have done it. No-one gets away with hurting my son." Illeya let out a soft laugh and I shook my head, "I'm not joking Leya, I should have done it. Micheal probably has a broken nose and a concussion now. All because some prick decided to floor him." I groaned loudly and placed my hands on my lap, toying with the fabric of my dress.

"Mom." Micheal spoke up, I took a breath and looked over at him. "What was that surprise that you told me about earlier?" I smiled and then responded with,

"Next week, we're going to my childhood home in New York for five days."

...