Chapter Twelve

Illeya's POV

I sat up and shifted my legs so that I was in a sitting position. Mom sat down on the bed and I rubbed my eyes gently. A sole tear fell down her cheek and she quickly wiped it with the back of her hand. The uneasiness of everything caught up with me as I asked,

"What happened mom? Why are you crying?" She reached out for my hand and then grabbed it softly.

"Rayne." She stifled, "She's not in a good way son. She lost a lot of blood, a lot. She also has second degree burns from the explosion on her arms and torso. The doctors also think that she may have damaged her lungs from smoke inhalation. Not to mention the cuts from the car itself being blown up. She does not look good son. I'm so sorry." Breathe Illeya. Fucking breathe. I felt as if I'd had the wind knocked out of me. Worry consumed me to the point where I felt physically sick. It was my fault. Had I just woken up, then I would have been the one that was hit. Not her.

"I need to see her." I stated before standing up on shaky legs, I rushed down to infirmary. I entered the wing and the scent of strong disinfectant invaded my nostrils. I paced through the infirmary before arriving at a large room. Everything was white, I looked into the clear window outside of the room and saw Rayne lying there. Her body was covered in bandages, a monitor was next to her along with several bags of blood, food and IV drips and countless other things. I entered the room and stood next to the bed looking down on her. I wanted to grip her hand in my own but the wires and needles that protruded from her hands, not to mention the burns that were covered by cooling pads were in the way. Her face was pale, her lips were dull and had a dusky appearance to them, not the normal bright pink that they normally were.

"Raynie no!" A male voice called out. Her brother. I left the room and sat outside, I sat outside and watched him. He looked down at her, his face was painted with a lot of worry, a couple of tears ran down his face as he looked at his baby sister. He was saying something to her, which made him more emotional. He stayed with her for a couple of minutes before leaving. He looked at me and then asked, "How do you know my sister?"

"I work with her, I'm Illeya." He looked at me for a second before asking,

"Are you Calla's son?" I nodded and he gave me a tight lipped smile and then walked off. Mom suddenly appeared and pulled me into a tight hug. I hugged her back until I saw Rose begin to walk up to us. I pulled away and Rose then said,

"Calla is their anything yet? I want to know who did this to my sister." Mom shook her head no and Rose looked over at me expectantly. "Illeya, I am aware that you and Rayne went on a date last night  and spent the night together I presume." I nodded and she then said, "When you were out did anything seem off. Any waiters that were too eager, anyone that could have bugged something?" Then it came to me. Fuck.

"There was only one moment, me and Rayne left the table for about five minutes and she left her bag at the table, the waiter must have bugged her phone when we had our backs turned." I could tell that she was getting angry.

"Her phone. Where is it?" 

"The kitchen, she forgot it before she went to the garage, I remember seeing it this morning." A smile spread across her face.

"Get it and send it to Milton and his team, now I'm going to check in on Rayne." I nodded and went into the kitchen and grabbed her phone out of her bag, I made my way out of the main compound and jogged to the small base where all the hackers and people who can do that techy stuff work. Milton greeted me and I passed him the phone. 

"Check for bugs, trace the bug and pass the information onto the Pakhan." He nodded and I left and jogged back to the compound. My phone buzzed and I looked at it, it was a message from dad,

Dad: Meet me in your mothers office ASAP.

Me: On way.

I then proceeded to jog to mom's office. Dad was sat at the desk a piece of paper in his hand.

"Son." He greeted kindly. I smiled and sat down, I wondered what information was asap worthy. "So I have information." He started, too slow for my own liking. "So, recently we have been receiving threats from the Garcia's. They were suddenly unhappy with our presence of which they had been fine with in their territories for years now." I breathed,

"At least that's a lead, do you have any idea why?" Dad shook his head and then said,

"New leadership maybe, but I also heard that they were forming an alliance with the English mob. Which doesn't surprise me if they are wanting to take us down. Going after the weakest link in the bloodline is a low blow but seems like a tactic that they would use to get to us. They couldn't go for one of the Pakhans children as they are heavily guarded and have the bloodline of two mafia heirs and they wouldn't go after the one in the USA because it would be pointless as they are not of any involvement. However Rayne." He paused. "She has no involvement but is in the motherland. She is a home target and the youngest. Lets not forget unguarded and the most vulnerable."

I ran a hand over my face and tried to process everything that he'd said. We're no longer on a balanced playing field, their is no advantage in our favour. Its all in their hands and we need to turn the tables quickly before anyone else got hurt.

But might it already be too late?

...