Chapter Forty-Five

Rayne's POV

The week had passed slowly, we had kept Micheal off school for two days after the whole basketball incident and his team won after all. Today was the big day, I was going back home. I tried, and I mean really tried to prepare myself for it but I couldn't help but feel overwhelmed. Micheal was pleasantly surprised to find out that we have a private jet and were taking that to New York. I had prepared myself for the ten hour flight though. Thankfully we had very comfortable seats and one bed on the jet which was perfect for the longer haul flights. We were all sat on the jet, as it took off. Micheal was excited because he had never been out of Russia before, I was aware that if we went anywhere I would have to do a lot of the talking because Micheal's English was okay, but somewhat limited and Illeya knew a bit more but his intonation on words was very strong and his pronunciation was sometimes off so to avoid the harshness of some New Yorkers I would have to take the lead.

I knew that Ollie would probably come and visit us when we were here and he was the only one of us who always spoke in English. I mean Rose predominantly spoke in Italian to her husband and kids, but taught them English and I predominantly spoke in Russian to make it easier for Illeya and Micheal and well living there requires you to at least know the fundamentals of the language. Ollie did speak both Italian and Russian but he wasn't the best at either. As we were finally at a high enough altitude to take off our seat-belts we moved over to the sofa's and turned on the television. I quickly flicked through the array of films that were available and found a old animated film called Shrek, which was made seventy two years ago. I put it on, I remember dad talking about it and him saying that he had watched it when he was young.It was an odd film with an odd soundtrack, but Micheal, Illeya and myself enjoyed it and it helped pass two hours of the long flight. After that we all did our own things, I read a book, Illeya sat on his laptop responding to emails and Micheal was on his phone.

The ten hours passed quickly and we were soon landing in New York, it was late a night when we touched down. There was a car waiting for us when we arrived and we were driven to the house. As the familiar golden gates opened, a wave of emotion washed over me, I hadn't been here since dad died. A couple of tears slid down my cheek as we stopped outside the door. Illeya and Micheal rushed out of the car, whilst I took a couple of deep breaths and attempted to calm my racing heartbeat before I exited the car. This was a bad idea, I should have booked a hotel. Not come here. Slowly, but surely I got out of the car and opened the doors to the house. Micheal was in awe of the size and grandeur of the house.

"Mom, this place is huge. How did you ever find your way around?" Micheal asked and I let out a soft laugh taking in my familiar surroundings,

"I lived here for twenty seven years, that's how. C'mon I'll show you to your room." Illeya followed behind me like a lost dog, the compound was large, Noah and Rose's house was large but this place was fucking huge. I showed Micheal to a spare room that I had only ever seen guests use, I don't think it was anyone's in-particular. I then walked him further along the corridor and towards my childhood bedroom. "This is where me and your dad will be, if you need anything come six doors down the hallway to your left." I walked him back to his room and then back to mine. As I laid back down on my bed, Illeya beside me I could feel the steady trail of tears that fell down my cheeks.

"Hey, what's wrong?" Illeya asked and I turned to face him,

"I-I just don't know if I'm ready to face the reality of it yet. Would you mind if I went to look at my dad's room. Ollie said that everything was how he left it, bar all the medical equipment." Illeya nodded and I stood up, and walked down the familiar corridor and towards dad's room. I stopped at the painting of mom and dad that hung on the wall. I looked up at it, tears stinging my eyes and blurring my vision, "Hey mom, dad. I hope that you are proud of me, I hope that you are okay wherever you are. You really were the king and queen of this family, and I hope that even though we didn't get the time that we deserved together that you are happy of my decisions. I want you to know that I miss both of you, even you mom and that I love you both." I bit my lip to dampen the sound of sobs that threatened to spill from my lips. I sat, legs crossed looking up at the photo. I needed this. I needed to come to peace with it.

After several minutes I made my way into dad's room. Ollie was right. I glanced over to the bed and it was made the way that he always made it. Two pillows on either side of the bed, a thick quilt that was tucked under the top pillows and a throw that was neatly folded at the bottom of the bed. I went over to the cupboard and found both mom and dad's clothes. They were hung neatly in order of style. The bedside table had a lamp resting on it and a picture of him and mom together on their wedding day. On the other side of the bed the bedside table had a lamp and a picture of mom and dad together, presumably on a date and a picture of all of us, me in my mothers arms, wrapped in blankets she looked tired and dad did as well. It looked like they were in a hospital, it was probably after I'd been born. I slowly pulled the drawer of my mothers bedside table open and felt around in the empty drawer. There was a small bump at the back of the drawer, I pulled the drawer out fully and found a USB stick. I took it and placed the drawer back in place and went into their bathroom. I found a bottle of my mom's perfume. I picked up the bottle and removed the cap, smelling it. It was a beautiful light scent, lavender and roses, with a small hint of vanilla. I took the bottle and sprayed a bit on my wrist and on my neck. I felt close to her somehow. It was a very familiar scent, I knew it and it felt homely and relaxing. It reminded me of mom, it felt like a hug. I placed it back in its allotted place and headed out. I made my way back to my room and found Illeya fast asleep on the bed, I pulled out my old laptop and a pair of headphones. I quickly logged in and  put the headphones in plugging in the USB.

A title screen came up, it stated, 'Marshall family moments, 2014-2033' Then mom appeared on the screen,

"Hey, I decided that I would document lots of moments in our family since its hectic and well its a mafia lifestyle. Everything that happens until the day I die, I will try and record so there is something for yous kids to watch when me and your dad are gone. I assume there will be more than one of yous, I want more kids anyways but that's only if me and Rose see your father again. If there are more than one of yous then please wait and view this with your siblings. This is simply because if one of yous is young and I die then they can tell you more about what they remember. Just remember, whether there be one or five of yous, I love you all and I hope that this tape will help you and allow you to remember me in a good way and give yous all something to show your kids." I could feel the tears trickling down my cheeks as I watched her, tears shone in her eyes as she reflected on the idea of imminent and unexpected death. When she poke about my father, her eyes closed and it seemed like she was praying that he would be okay and see her again. It was painful to watch. "This will start with just Rose, and then we will go through the years from there depending on what happens and I will compile it or leave a note for Danny or someone to compile it for me. I love you, and enjoy." I smiled and then unplugged the USB. I would wait until my birthday, Rose and Ollie will be here. We can watch it then, together just like mom wanted.

...