Chapter Seven

Rayne's POV

The next day was there in an instant, I quickly changed into a black pencil skirt and a white three quarter length sleeve blouse. My mothers necklace that my father had given me for my eighteenth birthday was around my neck and clearly on show. I threw on a pair of black kitten heels and walked downstairs. A bowl of porridge and a mug of black coffee were waiting at my place on the table. I thanked the maids and quickly dug into my food. Illeya dragged himself down to the table and took a seat opposite me. He grabbed an apple from the fruit bowl and poured himself a glass of water.

We had both finished eating and were now in the car. It was silent, the radio had cut out and both me and Illeya sat there in an awkward silence. His brow was furred and it was obvious that he was thinking about something, something important. His hands gripped the steering wheel tightly. I decided against asking him what it was and remained silent. We were soon pulling up to the large office block. Illeya parked in the underground parking structure and we both exited the car and got in the elevator. He kept glancing over at me, his eyes glinted with something but I could never quite make it out. The elevator pinged and the doors slowly slid open, both me and Illeya stepped out and I walked into the office. It was a large, spacious room. I made my way over to the desk, there was a picture of dad, mom, Rose, Ollie and me as a baby on the desk. I picked it up and examined it carefully. I ran my finger over it and then placed it back down. I sat down on the desk and logged into the computer. It was your standard windows screensaver, I looked around in the drawers and saw another USB flash drive. I plugged it into the computer and Illeya came behind the desk and stood behind the chair that I was sat on. Two video files came up labelled V.1 and V.2 , I clicked on V.1, 

I held my breath, dad appeared on the screen. His hands were in his lap , he was facing the camera. 

"As of right now, I have just got my diagnosis." He gulped and then continued, "Rayne, you always made me proud, I just want you to know that I am proud of you. I am having this sent to Russia, so you will have seen the video that your mother had made for you over twenty six years ago. Since you are in Russia, and will be there for the foreseeable future, I have asked your sisters second in command to get her son to act as a working aid and bodyguard. Now onto the real topic of the video. I know how overprotective your brother and sister are of you, and I know they will not allow you to see your mothers death, it is the other video file on here if you wish to watch it. Please make sure if you watch it you are with Illeya or Calla. I love you Raynie, I hope you stay healthy and find love, I love you baby girl." I could feel tears fill my eyes and slowly spill, Illeya placed his hand on my shoulder and rubbed it softly. I placed my hands over my face and caught the tears as the started falling down my face. The screen went off, I sobbed quietly. I missed him too much. Illeya had moved and was now hugging me. I placed my arms around his neck and nuzzled my head into his chest. After what seemed like ages, I managed to stop crying and pulled away from Illeya.

"Leya." I called in a soft, almost childlike voice. He looked down at me, eyes filled to the brim with pity. I sniffled, "Could you please watch this video with me." He nodded and picked up a chair and carried it over to the desk, he sat next to me. I put my hand out and he gripped it softly. I clicked on the extension. 

Mom and dad were in the living room, when I heard a scream and mom was pulled away from dad, a gun was aimed at her temple. A masked assassin stood there. Dad called out for mom, tears ran down both of their faces, Mom cried out for dad telling him that she loved him and telling him to tell us that she loved us. Then Ollie entered the room, he stood there frozen to the spot, telling mom that he loved her and mom told him that she loved him. I then heard mom yell as they said something about Ollie, she was really brave, in that situation I would have frozen up and been unable to do anything. Then Rose entered the room and stood in front of Ollie hiding him from it. Mom said that she loved Rose and then the man cackled and then pressed the trigger. Two shots went off, one killed the man and one killed mom. Dad rushed forward and rocked her in his arms. He cried and sobbed loudly as he held her corpse in his arms. Rose and Ollie left the room, still in shock. I turned off the computer unable to see anymore. I sat there and gripped Illeya's hand tightly. 

We sat in silence for about ten minutes, nothing. I felt nothing. Illeya turned to face me,

"Are you okay?" He asked and I responded quietly,

"I don't know. I feel like I should have some connection with this woman, she gave birth to me and loved me for the first year of my life, but I don't because I don't know her, I don't have any memories of her. Dad kinda acted like my dad and mom combined. I want to feel something but I don't." Illeya nodded and squeezed my hand softly.

"Will you be okay working for the rest of the day?" I nodded.

"Well then lets get to work."

...