Because I Had You: Shawn

I walked into the label feeling a little uneasy. I didn't know what to expect or feel or even think for god sakes. I just felt like things were just happening and I couldn't get a grip on it. Adam was trying hard to make sure I kept a smile on my face, but I can't fake everything. Especially not this.
"Sophie!" Adam threw his arms right open as she jumped from her seat running and bursting him with a hug.
"It's great to see you guys again!" Her smile lit up the room as she broke away from Adam and walked to me.
"Shawn." She winked leaning giving me a hug as I gave her one back.
"How are you doing?" I asked.
"I'm good. Im just working all the time you know?" She placed her hands on her hips.
"What brings the visit?" She asked.
"We have a meeting." Adam replied.
"You guys know what room number?" She questioned.
"Yep. We got it. Maybe we all can get coffee or something to catch up after?" Adam offered.
"That would be really nice." She smiled giving us a small wave while turning back to her desk.
We both walked to a room down the hall that was placed on the right side. We walked in as no one was in there and I felt a weight lifted off my shoulders.
"You're shaking man." Adam placed his brief case down sitting across from on the table.
"No." I lied.
"Why are you so nervous?" He asked looking deeply concerned.
"I told you, I'm okay." I answered not wanting to discuss my feelings with him anymore.
"You're the bigger person Shawn. She's the one who put herself in this whole." Adam added. Once again, I felt irritated by another comment he made directed towards her.
"Yeah, maybe." I whispered. Adam didn't hear my last comment which I'm glad he didn't because I knew he would've said something, but also, he knows me better than I know myself sometimes.
"This meeting isn't gonna take long. I'll make sure of it. I know you're exhausted man." Before we could have time to sit in silence the door slowly opened as Sophie peaked her head through.
"Hey." She closed the door behind her softly.
"Adam, do you mind if I talk to Shawn for a second?" She asked politely.
"Yes. Of course." He sat back on his chair as we both remained quiet. She stared at him and then back at me.
"Um Adam?" Sophie looked a little concerned.
"Yes?" He smiled.
"Like alone. Privately." He blinked a couple of times.
"Ohhh. Yeah. I knew that." He stood up, walking to the door and closing it behind him.
"He's still the same. I swear." She rolled her eyes walking and sitting in a chair right next to me.
"How are you?" She folded her arms together giving me her full attention.
"I'm good-"
"Shawn." She interrupted me with all seriousness.
"How are you?" This time. I knew what she meant. I just didn't feel like discussing anything.
"I know you're in town. I know you're gonna be around, and I haven't talked to you. So I'm taking my chance. Plus Kinsley is on break, so she won't see me not working and I won't get fired." She winked as we both cracked a laugh to one another.
"I'm okay. Nothing heals the past like time, I'm okay now." I gave her an honest answer. She has always been the one girl that I knew I could trust.
"Your career has been booming." She emphasized.
"Yeah. I know right?" I joked.
"Kinsley looks good." I finally couldn't hold it in anymore. I felt I needed to talk about her, just because it's been eating me alive since we last saw each other.
"She does. She's been really good." Sophie had a giant smile on her face.
"She's a really good business women, and you probably won't believe me when I say this, but she's definitely not the same Kinsley as before. That's for sure." She explained.
"She doesn't have three legs anymore. She's always in therapy, she goes and visits her dad almost every weekend, and she has some friends." I couldn't help but to smile the whole time Sophie was talking. Hearing about Kinsley made my heart jump and do cartwheels.
"Which brings me here anyways." Sophie's tone changed as she just locked her eyes to mine.
"Friday, Friday is Kinsley's birthday." I nodded as she started to talk again.
"And, this is a long shot, but I want you and Adam to come. It'll be here at the label, and it's around 6. Just think about it." I didn't know how to respond to Sophie. To be honest, I'm surprised she would even consider me after everything. I would be absolutely dumb to think Kinsley didn't tell her about everything that happened between us.
"I'll see." I responded.
"I just think it might be something she needs. Something you both might need." I could tell she really cared about Kinsley's healing process, and I did too. When I sing, perform, write music, I think about her all the time. The hard part is I just don't know if she thinks about me the same. I don't know if there's another man in her life. I don't know if Matthew is still in her life. I don't know anything, and that definitely eats me up.
"Just remember one thing for me before I leave this room." Sophie placed her hand on my arm.
"The first to forgive is the strongest, but the first to forget is the happiest." She give me a quick and serious look before sitting herself up and walking for the door. Her words echoed in my head, and it's probably the best advice one can give someone. She walked out the door leaving me all alone with the silence of the walls and the light beaming from the window. It's hard to think about everything that could be or could've happened, but at this point I need to let go because of all people, I think my soul deserves it.