Because I Had You: Shawn

I left this morning while Kinsley was sound asleep. I didn't want to wake her, so all I did was give her a soft kiss on the forehead and went on my way. I went back home to clean up and headed for the label. I knew Adam was gonna be upset with me because he wanted me early this morning to work on music so that way I can do a meet and greet later, but I think he forgot when I said I just needed a little break, so I don't really care what he's feeling right now. He would never understand me if I explained about Kinsley and I. He's been defensive over me with her, and at this point I don't even care. She's all I care about and I have finally back.
I walked in the label and noticed Sophie and Luke were finally talking. Maybe he finally realized time is short, and he needs to take his shot.
"Hi Shawn!" Sophie smiled and waved.
"Hey." I replied giving Luke a small nod and walking straight for my room. I opened and saw Adam sitting there writing things down in his planner.
"Good morning." I said as I placed my coffee down on the table. He didn't respond. I knew he was irritated. I knew this was gonna happen.
"How come you're late?" He finally closed his planner.
"Good morning Shawn. I hope you're doing okay. How did you sleep?" I spoke out loud sitting in a spiny chair across from him.
"Adam, I'm so glad you asked. I slept great. I am doing okay, and that's nice of you to say good morning." I replied to myself having my own conversation out loud and mocking him. At this point I was just being an ass.
"Seriously dude?" Adam kept a straight face.
"I just overslept. That's all." I answered.
"Well now you have to spend less time at the studio for your music because of your meet and greet-"
"Hey I don't want to do one. Can you just postpone and refund the tickets?" I interrupted.
"You love meet and greets Shawn." He replied.
"With all my heart. But I told you I needed a break, and I thought you understood that." I explained trying to get him to remember that promise he made me.
"I know. I just feel like maybe it might help you take your mind off of things." He added.
"It's does. Of course, I just need a break." Adam stayed quiet for a second.
"Alright. I get it. I'll fix it then. I'm sorry." He apologized.
"Don't worry about it. I know you're just looking out for me." I always appreciated his work. He tries really hard, and I also know he puts me first in his management before anyone else.
"How was your date last night? Did she cry again?" I blinked a couple of times at him. Remember how I say I want to punch him in the face sometimes? Yeah, this is one of those moments.
"It was good." I kept it short. I didn't want to tell him much simply because I didn't want too and I wanted to keep our moment between the both so us only.
"She was different." I smile thinking how amazing she was and she openly talked to me in a way she couldn't before.
"A good different I suppose?" Adam asked.
"Yeah, a good different." I looked down and kept smiling.
"It's crazy Adam, and I know you don't support it 100% but she just does something to me. She's just perfect."
"She's not that perfect and I know there's girls out there who would treat you better and love you better 10 times better than Kinsley can." Right then and there instant rage filled my body. I stood up with complete anger walking to his face.
"YOU DONT KNOW WHAT I LIKE ANS YOU DONT KNOW WHAT I DONT LIKE. BE MY MANAGER, NOT A GOD DAMN PARENT!" I turned without giving him a chance to respond, walked and slammed the door behind me. Since the beginning he didn't give a shit how I felt or was supportive. He doesn't know the whole story between Kinsley and I. I told him what she has done, but not what we had. And besides. She's isn't all to blame. I am guilty too, it takes two to make a relationship work. Not one.
"Hey Shawn!" Luke came walking to me with another tall brown headed guy that wasn't Philip. I wasn't in the mood, but I could use someone who does actually like me, and shows signs of supporting me.
"What's up man?" We both leaned in for a small pat on the back.
"I'm good. I'm good. I have someone I want you to meet." He smiled.
"Shawn, this is Reed, and Reed this is Shawn." We both shook hands as Luke introduced us to one another.
"Reed works for maintenance." Luke gave a cheesy smile. I couldn't help, but to laugh. For two reasons. One, because I don't know why Luke would introduce me to someone who works for maintenance. Don't get me wrong. They have a big part in business, but they don't make that hug if an impact. Not to be mean. And second, Luke just gave off a goofy vibe.
"Well that's cool." I replied not really sure what to say.
"Look, I brought him to you because this guy has a gift." Luke finally let out. I crossed my arms just listening to him.
"I've been arranging Kinsley to set up with him, but every time something last minute comes up and she's bailed to see him sing, and it's not because she doesn't want to, just something more important appears." He explained.
"So you brought him to me because?" I waited for him to give me the main reason.
"I want you to hear him, and then you tell Kinsley. I know she'll listen to you." I stared at Luke. He was the only one hear who knows about her and I. Briefly though.
"You can sing?" I looked back at Reed as he was stone cold. He looked nervous, shy. Almost like he didn't know what to do with himself. He was a little younger than Luke and I. He looked about maybe 17 or 18, but if he did himself up like put some gel in his hair or dressed in a nice suit, you wouldn't be able to tell he was this young.
"Who do you like?" I questioned. I'm not gonna say I'm professional, but I'm definitely out there with my music career.
"Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, and I love Michael Bublé." He smiled.
"You're an old soul." I nodded. The names he just listed are some of my absolutely favorite singers.
"Alright sing to me." I've decided right then and there, if he can sing and he can impress me right on the spot then I'll have sing with me in a duet for Kinsley. If she can get Philip who came here with nothing a chance at an amazing life, then she's my inspiration to do the same.
"Wait, like right now?" He stared at Luke and then at me.
"Yes." Luke gave him a small nudge on the shoulder.
"Come on man. I got the ear here. That's why Kinsley hired me." He gave a small wink as if he was the shit.
"Uh okay." I waited patiently as he shook out his nerves and took a deep breath.
"That's life
That's what all the people say." I immediately knew what song he was singing. "That's Life" by Frank Sinatra one of the guys best hits.
"You're rising high in April
Shot down in May." His bluesy voice and deep tone at the end the last syllables literally sent chills down my spine.
"But I know I'm gonna change that tune
When I'm back on top, back on top in June
I said that's life." I held up my hand to signal for him to stop as he did. He stared at me with complete nerves.
"Well." I spoke staring at Luke who was filled with anticipation, and Reed who was just waiting for my opinion.
"You're actually brilliant man." Both had instant smiles come to their faces.
"Come tomorrow to my label room. Ive got something for you that'll get Kinsley to hear you-" before I could finish Reed jumped and gave me the biggest hug I've ever received.
"You're gonna change my life. Thank you so much!" He yelled high fiving Luke behind me. The feeling I was feeling right now was a different kind of joy. It actually melt my heart. In some ways, I feel like this is Kinsley dad showing me I meant to be here, and I meant to stay here.