[40]: Break

[40]: Break

"WHAT?" IN A SMALL VOICE, that was all I could ever say.

I knew it. I knew it was going to tear my heart down.

"Sweetheart, its alright," she tried to say but I could even see the sadness in her eyes.

I breathed in and breathed out as a million thoughts zoomed in my head but I tried to stop thinking and tried to clear my mind.

Finally deciding that it was time to go home, I said, "I think we should get going, Grace."

"Okay," Grace said and she stood up, helped me fix my things and walked out of the library, heading towards the car park.

I decided to sit on the backseat and leaned on the door as I watched the afternoon sky getting darker. I couldn't help but think why Seth didn't want my company. Why was he staying away from me? Why was he avoiding me?

"Thea, do you want something to eat?" I heard Grace ask. "We can go to a drive-thru."

"Yeah, sure," I replied, as my attention went back up to the sky which was a mix of colors of pink, orange and purple. If I could only get lost in those clouds and think of nothing, I wanted to be so carefree right now. I missed the feeling since I only felt that way in times that I was with Seth.

Seth.

At the thought of his name, my heart swelled with hurt. The rejection I felt was too great to bear.

I never thought this could happen again. That I would be rejected. The first time I felt like this by Robert, I felt so hurt but this time, I feel 10 times a lot more worse. Robert and I were bestfriends and all we ever did was hang out and have each other's backs. But Seth and I... we slept in the same bed, we kind of dated, we held hands, we cuddled, we even kissed.

I felt my heart clench as I continuously thought about him. I missed having him near me, I miss his manly smell, I miss his arm around me, his roughened hand holding mine, his heart-melting smile, that soft hair of his... I shut my eyes closed for a few minutes before hearing Grace say as the car halted, "What would you like to get Thea?"

I lifted my body from my recent position and thought about the delicious food I could use to make me feel better. Once I told Grace what I wanted, I said, "Buy food for yourself too. And for the Deavon's."

I reached for my wallet then got my credit card out and gave it to Grace who was about to get her turn in the take-out window.

"You alright?" Grace asked after she made the order.

I shook my head, not looking at her.

"You're going to be fine, Thea," she reassured. "Who knows, maybe in the next few days, you'll forget about him. All you have to do is to understand him and everything will be the way it is."

I nodded to let her know that I was listening.

But the scary thing was, I didn't believe her.

***

Grace helped me with the food when we reached the Deavon's.

"How nice of you dear!" Marie said and pulled me into a hug after we set the food down on the table. Sarah attacked me into a hug too. I bent my knees to be at her level and hugged her too and she rocked me from side to side happily. I laughed but I winced a little because her fast movements of her rocking was kind of hurting my bruised arm.

"Thea, Grace," Marie said. "Come on, let's eat."

Seeing them happy made me feel a little bit better.

Once Grace and I finished our food, we excused ourselves and headed outside.