33

"Are you ready to hear the whole story?" Moonbyul's deep voice made my spine tingle from the tension the both of us have right now. I didn't speak nor did anything, but took a glimpse of her eyes seeing how nervous she is as well. I watch her rummage through one of the drawers under her table and I patiently wait for her to finish.

She places three pictures on the table in front of me, of which seem to be like a group of friends happily smiling at each other. I observe these pictures carefully and noticed that I was in the picture hugging someone; a person I couldn't remember and even this event happening. I couldn't remember this at all.

Moonbyul clears her throat and sits down on the chair right in front of me which she then said, "Do you remember . . . ?" She points at the pictures and hopes that I'd say yes.

I lean on the chair while shaking my head cannot remember a thing. Her face drops and starts taking the pictures away from me and places them back inside the drawer. She rummages again on the same drawer and takes one picture out from it. She places it gently on the table and watches my reaction.

I took the picture on the table and held it on my hands as I see two little girls, maybe around the age of 6, smiling at each other while holding lollipops. I got confused so I look at Moonbyul for her to explain who were this little kids.

"I didn't really think you would not remember that . . ." She shakes her head and takes a deep breath before explaining. She leans forward to be able to get closer to me and starts explaining whoever it was in the picture. "You see, that was you," she points at the little girl at the right, "and this was me." She points at the girl on the left. I nodded my head trying to process this all.

"So? . . . How is this connected . . . to those pictures you just showed to me earlier?" I asked confused.

"This was us when we were little. You were 7 and I was 6. This was when we last saw each other when I fled to America and stayed there for a quite a long time, but I came back to Korea when I was 25. . . to find a job here. But then I saw an audition for this group thing-" she stops there and takes something from another drawer, which is a flyer of an audition to be in a girl group.

"I can never imagine you being in one." I mumble finding this funny at some point. It would've been better if she was like a business woman or a private gaurdian for the rich or something like that.

"We were in one. What are you saying?"

"Huh? I couldn't remember anything." I looked down at my lap, not really knowing what's actually going on. "I think, I'm getting worse."

"Hey, I'll try my best to explain okay and I don't think you are, maybe you just need some time to remember all these." She reassures me and holds my hand. "Maybe because the accident caused you to forget so much of your memories that it went to the point when you forgot about your childhood memories as well. But don't worry about that a lot, I'll explain to you what you can't remember and don't seem to understand." She smiles at me and I nodded my head.

"Thank you, Byul. I appreciate it a lot." I smiled back at her and we continued our conversation where I had myself lost into.

"So I came back to Korea to look for you . . . because I missed you," She pauses for a second as she stares right at my eyes which I can see how sad and broke she was at that time. I have this feeling that she wanted to cry but she kept holding it in, probably scared that I might judge her for it which I will never do. "But, I couldn't find you. So I somehow gave up and signed up for the audition because I needed money that time-" I cut her off with a question.

"Why won't you just stay in America? Also, I'm sure you can just ask money from your parents . . . Since they made you go to America with them."

"I didn't go to America with my parents. I went there with my grandfather since he lives there. My parents were all busy about work so I had no choice but to go to America because no one in Korea would take care of me. So after some time, I was like 25, my parents told me to go back to Korea since my grandfather had died that time."