Chapter 45: Moony and his Cub

I do not own Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban or the Percy Jackson series/characters.

Quotes from book

Mind Talking between Familiar/Bonded

With the animagus still in Regina's mouth and frozen, Harry wasn't overly worried about the rat escaping from them.

"Answers," Harry said with a small glare toward the two men. "I think we want an explanation before we continue."

"All right, then," Black said, without taking his eyes off the rat. "Tell them whatever you like. But make it quick, Remus. I want to commit the murder I was imprisoned for. . . ."

"There were witnesses who saw Pettigrew die," Neville said as he knew more about the subject than Harry. "A whole street full of them . . ."

"They didn't see what they thought they saw!" said Black savagely, still watching Scabbers in Regina's mouth but not moving closer to her.

"Everyone thought Sirius killed Peter," said Lupin, nodding. "I believed it myself — until I saw the map tonight. Because the Marauder's map never lies . . . Peter's alive. Regina's holding him, Harry."

Harry and Neville made eye-contact, both didn't quite think the story added up but it had sense to it.

"How can Scabbers be Pettigrew? During one of the assignment with Professor McGonagall I wanted to research more about animagus. The Ministry of Magic keeps tabs on witches and wizards who can become animals; there's a register showing what animal they become, and their markings and things . . . and I went and looked Professor McGonagall up on the register, and there have been only seven Animagi this century, and Pettigrew's name wasn't on the list —"

Harry felt proud of his friend for researching the registry for their homework assignment (Harry kinda remembered the assignment, it was given this year but Harry easily completed it just from the number of books he had for learning to become an animagus).

"Uh, Neville, hate to burst your bubble but it's really easy for animagi to not register with the ministry. It's almost laughable how they can't track it," Harry said slightly sheepishly with an innocent look.

Neville just sighed and shook his head before giving Harry a look that they will talk more about this topic later. Lupin just seemed exasperated while Black finally looked away from Regina and the rat just to raise an eyebrow at Harry, his mouth twitching upward slightly in amusement.

"If you're going to tell them the story, get a move on, Remus," snarled Black, who was still watching Scabbers. "I've waited twelve years, I'm not going to wait much longer."

"All right . . . but you'll need to help me, Sirius," said Lupin, "I only know how it began . . ."(- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban Page 350-352)

"Or, you could easily answer this one question and then tell me the rest when we're not in a shack in the middle of the night," Harry said as a thought entered his mind. He wondered how he could've forgotten.

Instantly, all attention was on him. "What question would that be?" Black asked cautiously.

"When I was born, did you do a Godfather Oath," Harry asked Sirius seriously. Neville sucked in breath and looked wide eyed at Black. Having grown up as a Pureblood and with his Grandmother making sure he knew about the politics of the Magical World, would know what a Godfather Oath entitled.

"Yes, of course. Why wouldn't I?" Black asked with a confused look, some of the crazy look he had before was starting to disappear as he focused more on Harry rather than the rat.