Chapter 67: Summer Year 4

I do not own Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire or the Percy Jackson series/characters.

Quotes from book

Mind Talking between Familiar/Bonded

Harry stared into his bedroom mirror. It's been nearly a month since his release from the hospital wing and his magic has been acting up since. Apparently, going into magical exhaustion and then coming back will make your magic a bit unstable in just the abundance it produces.

And yet, as he stared at the mirror, his hair was not changing color. He debated heavily on just dying his hair, but there was the thought of it fading into an ugly color that didn't quite sit well with him, along with the possible hair damage, and that the color he might've chosen might not have even looked nice on him.

He checked with the goblins at Gringotts and they assured him that his training with Tonks during his brief free time during the first year and the summer that his magic should be at the point to actually be able to change his appearance, and yet, as he stared into the mirror, it wasn't doing it.

"You're overthinking it, hatchling," Regina mentally said from her snake perch in the corner of his room, a heat lamp overhead of the structure and another one near the bottom of it along with specific heating charms in certain places for her.

"Except Nymp assured me that it should just come naturally. I think about what I want and it should do it. She couldn't really explain it well enough because she's been doing it since she was in diapers, it's all-natural for her," Harry said in frustration as he ran his hand through his hair and noting even that didn't produce any response.

Sure, he could charm his hair the color, but that defeated the purpose of him practicing his magic. He wanted it to be some sort of goal for him, for being able to actually be the metamorphosis that he had the chance of becoming. Admittedly, because it took him so long to refine the skill, he could change his facial features slightly and definitely change his hair color (so Tonks says) but he couldn't change into another person or any animal like she could.

"Still sounds like you are overthinking it," Regina said as she started to move from her perch, hanging in the air as she made her way to Harry who was standing by the perch. As she landed and curled around his shoulder she hissed in his ear, "Close your eyes, and just focus on my voice," she demanded from him.

Knowing better than to argue with his familiar, he sighed and closed his eyes. Focusing on just her and her voice.

"Now relax. Don't tell me but think about it. Think about the color you want to make your hair. Any color in the whole world. Nothing but just that color and only that color. Everything else is fleeting, getting farther and farther away from your thoughts as you only think about that one color. It's just you, and the thought of that specific color. When you open your eyes you will imagine that color on your hair," he distantly heard her say.

He felt the slight change in his magic as she told him to open his eyes. He blinked as he noted the ginger color his hair was suddenly. "How did you do that?" he asked slightly sleepily but his magic felt so refreshed and suddenly he felt like he understood the metamorphic magic he just did.

"Your mind needed to stop overthinking, I merely did some suggestive hypnosis," Regina dismissed as she moved from his shoulder back to her perch. Lunar on the lower branches seeming very content in her small state and just basking in the heating charms and heat lamps.

"Feel like that's technically illegal," Harry thoughtfully said as he turned his head side-to-side and really looked at his ginger hair. There was a nagging feeling in the back of his mind like he's seen it on someone so, so familiar. But ultimately couldn't place it even with his impressive filling system of memory.