Part 48

I had a very interesting call yesterday from one of my old friends, Jon Favreau, who's in town and wanted to see me so we're having dinner tonight. He said he also had something to talk to me about and I'm always all ears for him. I got ready and drove to the restaurant we agreed to meet at. After parking my car carefully I entered and the employee showed me my table where Jon was already sitting. As soon as our eyes met we both had a huge smile on our faces and he stood up so we could share a strong hug.

"Some things never change" he says referring to him waiting for me.

It's not my fault though, he always goes everywhere earlier. Well, I might be a little late every time too.

"How are you? What brings you here?" I ask as soon as we both sit down.

"I'm very good actually, my life's in order. I needed a little trip and wanted to talk to you about something and I decided to combine these two together"

"What do you wanna talk to me about?" I ask with curiosity.

"I'll tell you later. First of all, how are you feeling? I know the last months haven't been very kind to you"

"They had their ups and downs. You know about the tape and the addictions. I'm clean again, thanks to Allyson, Gwyneth and Jimmy. I'm telling you without them I don't know where I'd be"

"Allyson? That's your girl, right?" he asks smiling.

The waiter comes and gives us both the menu catalogue. We thank him and he leaves again.

"Yes, she's my girl" I reply with a smile on my lips.

"Tell me more about her"

"She's something else. She's smart, talented, caring. She was very patient with me through my recovery and didn't leave me even when I made it difficult to stay. You gotta meet her, she's amazing. And of course you've seen her so I don't have to mention how hot she is" I chuckle at the end.

"I can't wait to meet her sometime. You seem happy and that's all that matters"

We order some food and wine and continue our conversation. We remembered some stories from the past and laughed, shared more stories that we hadn't shared and enjoyed the food and wine. I trusted him with the real story behind Grace's jail time and told him everything about Allyson's family and how I have to try and make them like me.

"How's your new movie going?" he asks me.

"It's doing good, people seem to like it. We don't expect it to break any records but we're satisfied for now"

"Do you have anything new in mind?"

"I don't have any suggestions yet but if anything good comes up I'll concider it. What about you? Do we have anything to wait from the great Jon Favreau?"

"Actually yes. I have this idea and we're ready to proceed with it and that's what I wanted to talk to you about"

"A new project with you can never go wrong. Tell me about it" I say and take a sip from my glass.

"It's about Iron Man,-"

"The superhero?" I interrupt him and laugh.

"Listen to me before laughing, please" he says not amused.

"I'm sorry, I just can't see myself into the superhero world"

"All I'm saying is that people are into superhero movies, think about spiderman. It's going to be huge, I'm sure. The payment is extremely good and I believe you're perfect for the role"

"I don't know, man. It sounds risky. It could easily be flop"

"The Robert I know isn't afraid of a risk. It's your choice, just let me know"

"You know what? I'll do some research my own and I'll let you know"

"Just don't take too long, please. There are other people they're pushing me to suggest the role to and between us I don't like any of them"

"Where will the shooting take place?"

"Los Angeles mostly"

"I can't move to L.A" I close my eyes and sigh.

"Why? It's not like it's the first time you move"

"That's the thing, though. I had Elizabeth who had her family away and didn't care about moving. Now I have Allyson. Her family is here, her friends are here, I don't know if she wants to leave. I can't lose her"

"If she cares about you she'll support your decision. But don't let this opportunity slip away easily"

"I'll figure this out and tell you as soon as I make my decision"

"Thank you, I'm counting on you"

We continued our dinner with some more wine. I was thinking about his suggestion the whole time. I can see it's a big opportunity and the more I think about it the more I want to be a part of it but I need Allyson to be okay with this. I can't lose her over a role, we now have our lives in order.

At the end of the night we payed the check and left together from the restaurant. He told me he would only stay for two more days in New York but I had more time to give him an answer. We shared another hug and parted our ways.

I drove back to my house and sat on the couch turning on the TV. A channel was showing spiderman and I couldn't help but laugh at the irony. It's going to be a hard decision to make.