The Desert

A/N: A brand new Chapter filled with all the sadness.

"How could you let them take Appa Why didn't you stop them?!" Aang shouts.

"I couldn't! The library was sinking! You guys were still inside and -" Toph waves her arms frantically.

"You could have come to get us! I could have saved him!" Aang screams.

"I can hardly feel any vibrations out here. The sandbenders snuck upon me and there wasn't time for -"

"You just didn't care! You never liked Appa! You wanted him gone!" Katara approaches the two in an attempt at peacemaking, and places an arm on Aang's left shoulder.

"Aang, stop it. You know Toph did all she could. She saved our lives." She says softly.

"Who's going to save our lives now? We'll never make it out of here." Sokka says.

"That's all any of you guys care about: yourselves! You don't care whether Appa is okay or not!" Aang shouts stalking in the sand.

"We're all concerned, but we can't afford to be fighting now." I say slowly.

"I'm going after Appa." Aang flies off. Katara calls after him, running towards the spot from which he took off.

"Aang, wait!"

"We'd better start walking. We're the only people who know about the solar eclipse. We have to get that information to Ba-Sing-Se." She says staring at the vast sand box in front of her. I pull Nimu out of my hood and hold him against my chest. I can feel Aangs pain as if a hand is clutching my heart and squeezing.

"You think if we dig out the giant owl, he'll give us a ride?" Sokka muses.

We walk for several hours with Katara leading the rest of our crew, minus Aang and Appa

Occasional small plants dot the dunes. Sokka tries using Momo and his wings as a hat. As he slows, Toph bumps into him, knocking Momo off Sokka's head. Their cheeks are flushed and eyes are dark.

"Can't you watch where you're -" He stops remembering.

"No." She says.

"Right. Sorry." He says embarrassedly.
Katara turns to encourage the others.

"Come on guys, we've got to stick together."

"If I sweat any more, I don't think sticking together will be a problem." Sokka tries to gently pull himself and Toph apart, but Toph cuts to the chase and knocks Sokka down, disconnecting them.

"Katara, can I have some water?" She asks softly.

"Okay, but we've got to try to conserve it." She says as she bends water from her bag and suspends it between her and us. She then directs it to each mouth except her own. I shake my head but she doesn't listen. I swallow thankfully as I lift Nimu for a taste. Sokka swishes the water a bit, and then swallows with a face. He clearly is not impressed with the taste.