Chapter 4

"What is this place?" I asked, my voice echoing in the pitch blackness.

"Dahye~did you enjoy my latchers yesterday? They did quite a number on you huh?" A voice sneered.

I glared throughout the darkness, "Where are you? Show yourself!"

"Patience Dahye. All will be revealed soon enough. In the meantime, why don't you sit back and enjoy the show," the voice cackled.

"What show?" I asked.

As if I'm response to my confusion one of those creatures that were apparently called 'latchers' came out of thin air and hugged me tightly.

I struggled against its grip, my energy draining quicker than before.

Relax. Manually bring your energy down.

I calmed myself and managed to power down, however, it didn't work. If anything it was easier to drain me.

Then another monster came out of the blackness.

It wasn't a latcher. I hadn't ever seen it before.

"Who are you?" I asked.

"You can call me Zelroth. Not that you'll need to know my name," he growled. "Squeeze her. Squeeze every last bit of fight out of her."

Not if I can help it.

As the grip began to tighten, I went sprinting towards Zelroth. I crashed into him as hard as I could.

Shocking the latcher it loosened its grip, which gave me enough time to throw it off of me before either recovered.

I ran.

I didn't know where I was running, but I ran.

I was too weak to fly or speed away, but I ran.

"Poor little Dahye. Always alone. No one there to share her burden. Forced to protect the world all on her own without any recognition. You discovered your powers when you were young. You didn't know what to do with them at first. But as a six year old you were able to sense that we were here. But at first it was just an uncomfortable feeling in your smart head. But you knew you had to do something. Using the bathroom as an excuse you let your little body guide you to us. You attacked my line of defense and thus began your encounters with us. And then we met when you were just eight. It was tough for you, but tougher for us. That changes now Dahye. It's been thirteen years. And in those thirteen years, you chose to isolate yourself. If you ever got too close, that was an easy way to get to you, because you would do anything for the people you love. Even put yourself in serious harm's way. But it wasn't just that. You would be the freak with superpowers. So you're all alone. No one to help you. No one to hear you scream, beg, and plead. It's been like that since you were six years old. And it will always be like that," the voice laughed.

Hot tears stung in my eyes.

"You're wrong."

"If I was wrong, you wouldn't have stopped running."

I noticed that I was now standing stationary in place. And before I had a chance to bolt again, the latcher's tight grip was on me yet again.

It smirked as it multiplied itself.

All of the latchers covered my body, draining me at an insanely fast rate.

I fought them, gritting my teeth as I tried to push them off. My muscles straining, every vain visibly stressed.

But I couldn't keep up. My tank was almost at zero.

I fell to the floor, single tear beads falling from my eyes.

"I'm not alone. I'm not alone. I'm not alone. I AM NOT ALONE!" I screamed.

All the latchers flew off of my body and for a split second I felt this surge of power, before my body hit the ground with a thud.