First Goodbye

No matter how warm or even hot the weather is, in the mountain the temperature makes it somewhat more chilly than down in the sun. However, in the mountain the oxygen is also thinner. That's why, even taking a small walk in the mountain when it's already dark can be dangerous. But the lack of light and oxygen is not the only thing to be worried about. The danger lurking in the dark is more than a wild animal.

Even so... Shun is pretty nonchalant about such problem.

" Fufufu, those humans mistook you for a girl again? They're so dumb! Hahaha! "

" Hah... Stop calling them dumb, Heiji. Maybe they're right, my appearance is too boyish for a girl. "

Said shun feeling a little bit dejected as she twirl her almost-glowing-red hair.

Shun and Heiji has been friends since Shun was 5--it was when she got her memory as a reincarnated woman from the gods. Heiji can be pretty mischievous and always play a prank on normal human. Shun didn't really mind him actually, it was his trait as a yokai after all. Even if Heiji decided to eat a human, Shun will not stop him as long as it in a right amount and not her family.

Heiji is the only yokai that know Shun's name.

" Why does it matter to you anyway, Shun? Being a boy or girl, man or woman, what difference does it make? "

Asked Heiji swirling around Shun's neck.

" Of course it matters to me! What if Hijikata doesn't like my boyish appearance? Well... I'm pretty sure he doesn't care about that anyway... "

" You human is such a troublesome being. Always letting yourself get decided by silly things. When I ate human, such thoughts as their gender or age never bother me at all. Well, to begin with, we yokai never care about those things after all. "

" Eh... but falling in love is different from eating up someone you know... "

" Huh? We were not talking about eating you up? "

"......... we were not talking about eating anyone, Heiji. "

At this moment, even the great priest of yokai can sometimes feel exhausted when dealing with Heiji. She need to face-palmed herself in order to hide her embarrassment for almost taking Heiji's words seriously.

Heiji then jumped out from Shun's neck and turned into his young boy appearance. The first time Shun saw that form, Shun almost hug Heiji to death because how cute he actually is. With an appearance of a young boy who's the same age as Shun, a pair of fox ear on top a fluffy amber hair and not to mention his fluffy tail as well, this appearance is the best in Shun's opinion.

" How troublesome, how troublesome, humans are. Do you also let those silly things decide on what to be loved and not? "

Heiji has a narrow eyes just like a fox, and that's what his expression sometimes unreadable by Shun. Just like now, she couldn't read his expression nor think an answer for his question.

" He's... asking me? It was more like a statement... and I guess a part of me actually wanted to agree with him. "

As they walk on and on to Shun's house, Shun keep thinking about what just Heiji said and... what Kondou said to her this evening about Hijikata and him will leave to Kyoto tomorrow.

" Tomorrow... huh? Just when I finally get to see him, it will be his departure to another town. Will I get the chance of meeting him again even after he join the Shinsengumi? I know how the story goes... but that story didn't have me in it. "

Without realizing, both of them have arrived in front of Shun's house. Heiji then turned back into his little pipe fox form and bid his farewell to the girl as he disappeared into the forest. Shun rarely feel lonely after she got reincarnated here, but she thought how nice it'd be if Shun can bring Heiji into the house and listened to his opinion.