The Fated Night

The autumn wind blows bringing cold and loneliness that will peak in the next season. Similarly, Shun's guilt and desire to save Okita, season by season, Shun is increasingly worried about Okita's condition.

Her guilt came from her mind and that was indeed a fact, which shown how Okita react at Shun's idea of treating him more intensely. Shun knows, Okita hates to show his weak side, especially making Kondou worried over him. But Shun also knew so well, if Okita didn't begin to be treated from now on, his illness would only get more severe and ... Shun didn't even want to think about where Souji would eventually go.

" What's up with Souji? I was... well, happened to be there, and heard he denied being... sick, or something along the line. "
Harada getting even more specific which making Shun cornered.

She was planning to only uncover Okita's circumstances to Hijikata or Kondou—eventually—but not to the other captains this soon at least.

Since the cat already out from the bag, looks like she doesn't have any chance to dodge the interrogation.

"... Souji... He... "
Though Shun knows Souji's sickness, even herself still won't accept it and having a hard time to reveal this to others.

Hanging her head low in grieve and frustration as she clenches her fist tightly, she finally muttered the word.

" Souji is showing the symptoms of having tuberculosis... For the past 2 months, I've been pursuing him to take better care of himself and told him to do as I said... even though sometimes he's being nonchalant, calling me annoying, throwing tantrum just like a kid... he's still listen to my words. He always follows what I told him to do to take batter care of his body... "

" Tuberculosis...? Shit... that's real bad... But then... why did he act like that? "
Asked Harada, looking concerned as he frowned his eyebrows.

" ... All this time... I've been secretly putting medicines and certain ingredients that will help his body fighting over his sickness in either his foods or drinks... Before this, I've never told him to eat or drink certain ingredients and medicines. Because I know he'll be mad about it... he doesn't want to be looked weak by others... but I know! I know... even without him acting like that... I know that Souji is strong... he's always been fighting for himself while protecting others... he is strong... "

Without Shun realizing, her voice is getting more unstable as if she's trembling.

Shun, in everyone's eyes, she has always been more calm, composed, and somewhat reminded them of a mother figure. It was never in Shun's intention to get seen like that by others and she's unbeknownst to how people in the Shinsengumi sees her. It was eye-opening for Harada, when he saw the woman herself suddenly showing her meek side. It makes him realize...

" Oh... I've been wrong all this time... "
He's surprised, but it was pleasing nonetheless.

" Hey, Shun. You're carrying more than what you could right now, you know? "
It wasn't a pitying smile, instead Harada smiles as if he just scolding a helpless kid.

The other party seems bewildered by what he said, even more so when Harada give a comforting smile.

" I... I don't understand... I'm a doctor, of course I should— "

" I get it, but there's part of you that did all of that because how you personally feel about Souji, am I right? I think this is where Souji is mad about. "

".... Because I have personal feeling on him? "

" Pfft... no, sweetheart. It's precisely because Souji knew exactly that the two of you have a strong bond that he's mad at you for going to such length for taking all the burden of his sickness by yourself. You can say he feels somewhat guilty at you for pushing you to do such things as treating him with medicines secretly. "

Harada's words come in so naturally as if he had experienced it himself. But even so, there's no any judgmental words towards her, instead he's trying to find a common ground between the overprotective doctor and her over proud patient.

" So... he's not... angry with the medicine... but with how I take all the burden of... taking care of him... "
Once again, as if to recapture Harada's meaning, Shun echoed his words but more to the point.

" Yeah, guess you can say that. I know it's your responsibility to treating him, but just like how you want your patient be open to you as a doctor, you should be open to him as well. "
As a small encouragement, Harada patted the young heart's head softly.

Flutters of happiness begin to warmed her body up as a tint of blush painted on her cheek very slightly. Nonetheless, her genuine smile is as clear as day.

"... Thank you, Harada. I'm glad I could see this matter from other perspective... I'm glad as well that I talked this out to you... I'm sorry if I'm bothering you or.. giving any incompetence act in front of you. "
The woman looked away by the end of her words.

" Incompetence? A doctor is still a human, Shun. It's nothing to be embarrassed or being mad about. You should apologize and talk again with Souji later. Tonight he, Saito, and Hijikata-san will have a night patrol. "

" Thank you for the advice, Harada. I'll talk to him again tomorrow then. "
She beamed a smile.

After talking for a while, Harada then prepared to go back to his patrol. He's glad that he got to see another side of Shun that probably people rare get a glimpse of.

" Thank you for your time Harada, be careful on your patrol. "

" My patrol for today is done actually. How about we have a drink with Shinpachi and Heisuke tonight? "

" Really? That's wonderful! Thank you very much for the offer, Harada. I'll be sure to ask Hijikata later. "

Actually, no one need to ask for other's permission if it's a just a simple gathering to drink in someone's quarter. But in Shun's case—which everyone knows how she kind of violated the ethics when she was still in her first week of being here—everyone understand the punishment that took her personal space away from her.

" You're being really obedient at him, aren't you? Not that I'm saying it's not a good thing, but I thought you'll be more relaxed at him. I heard from Souji that you and Hijikata-san was already an old friend even before meeting Souji. "
Harada asked purely in curiosity, glancing at Shun sideway slightly.

Just like a blooming camellia flower in the middle of winter, red blush begin to visible on her pale cheek.

" Well... I still do wish to talk with him though... even if it's only a little... "
Lowering her face slightly to the ground, she smiles ever so softly with her eyes avoiding Harada's piercing golden eyes.

Before, Harada was taken aback by her other side that was talking her problem with Souji. But now... he just become even more sure that Shun is nothing like a saint.

" Ah, so that's it... A girl who's secretly in love, eh? "

As if it's natural for him, he stretches out his hand and put it on Shun's head before rubbing it gently.

" You should be more honest with him then, Shun. I'll be rooting for you, alright? "

" Huh? Oh... alright then. "

" I should get going now, see ya later, sweetheart. "

" See you later, Harada. "