Dull Knife, Sharp Beads

If one to say the truth, this is the first time that Hijikata has taken seriously a woman's invitation—even if it's not that kind of invitation.

But matters not, since most of the man in this headquarter often forgot that Shun is a woman herself.

" Are you really sure about this, Hijikata-san? "
Asked Sannan making sure his choice once again before starting the match.

" If she's this determined as far as to accept the challenge, then might as well crush her guts right here and now. "
Hijikata really didn't filter much his words since he never had the intention of softened to Shun on this matter.

" Thank you for your consideration, Hijikata-san. You're truly... "
Muttered Shun ever so softly with a slight smile.

Even though everyone knows that fighting with a woman—a kind woman like Shun to boost—is not a gentlemanly thing, since this match point is to determine her worth of protecting herself in order to tag along to Osaka... no one can muster any objection.

At the rear side, Harada looked at the woman in front of him with overflowing worries. He swears if Hijikata succeed on landed a close hit on Shun, he will interfere with the match immediately before Shun got a bruise from Hijikata's hit.

The two rival then place the tip of their sword at each other, waiting for the instruction to begin from Sannan.

" Where's your prayer beads? "
Asked Hijikata, noticing that she's only putting the gesture of holding a prayer beads with an empty hand.

" Ah, well... you know what happened to it. "
Not wanting to recall the memories, Shun only gave a brief answer with a tired smile.

Sannan sighed a little in worries before he throw his arm to the air and shouted the signal.
" Begin! "

And then.... there's only silence.

Not your usual silent... not the peaceful silent... but the deadly silent... The kind of silent when a someone's walking alone in the midst of eerie night, the kind of tension when an animal is about to put an end to their prey's life.

" Damn, I guess Shun-san is the real deal, huh? She's not budging a little bit to launch the attack first. "
Heisuke commented, focusing his eyes on the match.

" Well, dunno 'bout her strength, but we all know she has the brain to not go first on Hijikata-san. It will only left her with lots of openings. "
Shinpachi added. He never thought that he will actually get this impressed from a man fighting with a woman.

5 seconds... 10 seconds... and at the 15th, Hijikata finally make his first move. As swift as the wind, Hijikata close the gap between them. Not a breath pass away yet, he raises his sword and instantly with more than a half of his strength, he strikes Shun down.

However...

*clank*

The stand still Shun... is not even wearing any expression while slapping away Hijikata's sword to the side. She obviously has the strength, but she didn't use it to block his attack, instead... she's kind of misleading the sword away from her.

There's a subtle shock yet unimpressed gaze from the spectator. Though Hijikata is rather amused by Shun's strength of slightly receiving his blow, he's still not satisfied with a half-ass defense of her.

He never intended to let her have an opening to attack him, but he never expected it either that she seems to be not in any effort whatsoever to raise her sword to attack.

The match is... definitely strange. The man keep landing a blow, and yes, it definitely will hit. But none of those attacks landed on her body or even making her hold the sword strongly against his. It almost feels like he's fighting a plant. She's there but almost lifeless.