First Step

7 years has passed since Hijikata and Kondou's departure to Kyoto. Kondou and Okita often exchanging letters throughout the years. Shun was the one who suggest it to Okita, so he won't feel really lonely at the dojo. At first Okita was being bashful about it, but later on he even asked Shun to read it together with him. It was only because sometimes Kondou talked about Hijikata in his letter.

" Lately the day has been getting warmer, I bet the snow will melt in another 2 or 3 days more. "
Shun seems to be really enjoying her evening walk with Okita as well.

" Yeah? I guess things will get lively again. This winter has been taking a lot of people's life after all. "
He snickered as if it was something to joke about.

" Ah sheesh, you don't have to say it like that. You're really going to anger the souls, Okita-kun. "
However, Shun's getting used to his dark jokes already—and his sometimes rude behavior.

Honestly, even Shun herself is surprised how she and Okita become friends until now. Throughout the year, Okita's cynical traits are getting more obvious, and he doesn't seems like bothered to hide it as well. Though Shun is pretty upset because her cute and prickly little brother is slowly turning into a sadistic and cynical guy.

" Hahaha, I myself actually afraid of angering their souls as well you know. That's why I can only say things like that when I'm with you. "

"... Huh?! What's up with that? You're going to sacrifice me or something you mean? "

" Well, I know you're more superstitious than anyone I've ever known, Shun. Maybe you can actually disperse those ghost with your prayer~~ Hahaha. "

" Hah... I can't believe it he really laughed about that... "
For Shun who's actually... really can do that, it was really nerve-wrecking to laugh along with Okita.

When spring is here, the sky will be colored again and the town will look livelier than now. But in winter, though the sky often look grayish-blue, the town and mountain will always look covered in white. Actually today's weather is quite nice, the sun has been getting out a lot lately and their light shine upon the snow makes it twinkling like a field of gems.

Okita and Shun are hiking to the mountain right now. Okita just realized how beneficial Shun's routine recently. Though he's excel in swordplay and a top student at the dojo, he's actually quite impressed on Shun's routine who's hiking down and up the mountain every day and every season. More over, Shun always carry something on her back, so this daily life of her can takes as much power as when Okita practicing his swordplay.

" Shun. "
He called. Though his tone seems more serious than usual.

" Hm? "

" ... I'll go to Kyoto tomorrow to join Kondou-San and Hijikata-San. "

It's nothing to be surprised for, but sometimes Shun really can forget that the three of them are inseparable peas in one pod.

" Yeah? I know that. I mean it's to be expected. "
Shun play it cool and let him choose the paths he believes in.

" Eh... Hahaha, I didn't expect how flat your reaction gonna be though. But I'm glad... I'm glad it's... alright. "
That was probably one of the rare moments where Okita being genuine and smiled gently—not like his usual mischievous self.

Shun can only sighed hopelessly at the young guy and smiled as if she's the one comforting him instead.

" What's this? Worrying me because dad is no longer here? No need to worry about me and mom. You know I'm strong and can defend myself, mom is a good hunter as well. Step out from this city and go widened your way of seeing the world, Okita-kun. "
At first she wanted to pat his head, but she suddenly remembered about her parting with Hijikata.