Reconnect : The Story Begins

" ... Just because you're going to apply as a physician in here, doesn't mean that you get off easily from breaking one of the rules! "
The man who's always been strict to others and himself...

" P-please! I beg your pardon... samurai-sama. "

" Samurai?  What makes you think I'm a samurai? "

" Eh?! What the hell is this man talking about now? How should I know? I only said that to please you so I won't get myself in deeper trouble! "
Shun thought as her brain raging in storm.

" Umm... because— "
She was planning to lift her head up and take a look at the man before her, so she can make an excuse about the reason she said that— but it gets halted by the man's warning.

" Who said you could lift your head? "

" I-I-I'm sorry! "

" ... We're samurai, or at least we're striving to be one. Everyone in here has the resolve to die, give me a damn good reason why should we accept you—a physician— who's clinging to life, in our side? "

"........ If... if samurai-sama allow me to say my humble reason... then... it's because, in all honesty, no human wanted to die early. In some cases, even though one already lived a long life, as long as they still have something to do in life, or something which make them happy, they didn't want to let go of this... fleeting life. My job as a physician is to help those kinds of people to reconnect their life with the reason which keep them alive. "

Although Shun's back begin to hurt from prostrating this long, and she still gets slightly intimidated by the man's aura in front of her, she didn't stutter her reasoning even the slightest bit.

Shun can't exactly remember since when she feels strongly about life like this, but if one should say, then perhaps it's the responsibility as a Yokai Priest which shaped her heart up. Someone who's always appreciating life and death, one that should not be judged only by a man-made law.

The man is still in silence from her answer. Shun cannot see what kind of expression does the man make to her answer, but it seems like the man is not as angry as before.

" So you're saying that even I still have an attachment to life? "

" This is a double-edge sword question... Wether I choose no or yes, he will strike me again. Then... I should just dodge! "
After recollect her composure and think throughly with her head, she knows how to handle this situation with care.

" Pardon me, samurai-sama. Though my job is to reconnect those people with their will of life, if the person in question didn't ask me to help them, then there's no one for me to help. "

" Heh, so you're only going to help those who wanted to be helped, that's what you mean? "

"... Precisely, yes. "

The man seems pretty satisfied with her answer that she even heard him scoffed in interest. As long as Shun knows how to make herself valuable in this world, then she should be able to avoid trouble more easily.

" You passed, Shun Tanzaki. I accept you. "

" T-thank you, samurai-sama! "

" It's not samurai-sama. I'm Hijikata Toshizō, and it's Hijikata-san for you, Shun. "
His voice becoming more relaxed as well as getting closer to Shun.

Without further delay, Shun immediately lift her head up, not realizing that their face now is just a cm away.