Laugh on The Blood

The night sky slowly changes as in when at sunset, only at this time the sky is gradually getting brighter with a touch of sunlight.

Getting up at dawn or even before dawn, has become a routine of the samurai in Shinsengumi. In fact, it has become one of the rules that apply here. Hijikata was a deputy commander who was very strict with the rules, so it could be said that people could get up very early because of fear of Hijikata's anger.

" Yah... the air in early morning is truly delicious [1] "
Praise the commander, Kondou, as he stretched out in front of his room.

To get up this early or even earlier, is not a difficult thing for Kondou. As a child born from a farming family, he used to get up early to help with the field work since his childhood. Kondou also grew up in a loving and obedient family. That could be the reason why Kondou not really mind the rules proposed by Hijikata — despite the many seppuku sanctions.

Another thing Kondou loves to do in early morning is to practice his sword. It can be in the hall, dojo, or just out at the yard.

It looks like that he's the first person that already prepared to do his sword practice. Everyone might have been awake a while ago after Kondou, but they were not ready to do morning training yet.

Just as he's walking the veranda to the dojo, he sees someone's figure sitting across the veranda from the corner of his eyes. He's stunned for a moment because he didn't expect there's someone who's earlier than him. Not that he's disliking it though.

" Looks like someone's is already awake even before me. "
He smiles as he approaching the figure.

The closer he gets the clearer who's that silhouette belong to. How surprised he is to see that person is the newest member in the headquarter that just join them yesterday.

" Shun-kun? "
He called out from behind.

The woman is sitting at the edge of the veranda then turned to the source of the kind voice which called her name.

" Oh, Kondou-san, good morning. "
Her bass voice resounding with her usual calming smile.

" May I sit here? "
He asked politely.

" Of course, please. "

" Since when did you wake up? You're even earlier than me. "

" I woke up a little bit earlier than usual. I suddenly wanted to see what's the sunrise in here looks like. Oh, that's right, please pardon my unkempt appearance. "
She bowed in apology.

" Haha, that's fine that's fine, no need to be so formal with me when we're alone. But Shun, you wanted to see the sunrise all of a sudden? Hmm... did you get to see it? "

" Yes, it was truly beautiful. "

" Is that so, I'm glad you found it to beautiful. Everyone in here is men, there's hardly anything beautiful can be found in here. But if the sunrise in here is to your liking, then that's something to be celebrate about, isn't it? "
He talks in a kind and gentle manner, almost to that of a father.

Shun was stunned for a moment there. She didn't think that such a warm smile would actually came to comfort her heart. Especially after last night unwanted surprise from the the yokai. Good thing that it didn't turned into a huge brawl or anything. Looks like the yokai in Kyoto already had their consciousness on Shun's being in the town.

" ... Your words are too kind, Kondou-San. "
She smiles meekly as if give in to his kindness.

" How about you, Kondou-San? Where are you going so early in the morning? "