Truth to be Told

" Hijikata-san, may I come in? " 

Night has come, stars and moon begin take the sun's job to light the sky. Though the clear sky is as beautiful as glittering diamonds on a dark cloak of night, the heart of a certain maiden is apparently clouded with uncertainty and nervousness.

" Yes, come in. "
Answered the silhouette from the other side of the room.

Clenching her fist as if collecting all of her courage, biting her lower lips lightly to make herself sure this is real and whatever will happen after this, she will take all on. There she goes sliding the door open and closed it back before paying her respect to Hijikata—no, this time, she's talking with the Vice Commander.

" Cut it out with the formalities. I don't need you to pay your respect so grandly every damn time we have a word. "
Hijikata deep and hoarse voice can be heard almost throughout the entire room, sending some sort of electric tension to Shun's spine.

" ... I... understood. "
Shun rose her head up.

Before anything begin, Hijikata seems to be done with his work now that he's tidying up all the paperwork and put it in his drawer. There's only one lamp as the source of the light in this room, but the frown on his forehead can be seen as clear as day.

" I've heard it all from Yamazaki's report two days ago. It actually took you 2 goddamn whole days just to tell me the truth even after I let you stay in here, at the Shinsengumi headquarter. "
The volume of his voice didn't change, he neither raised his voice nor lowered it. But even so, her heartbeat began to quickened its pace.

" I-I-I... I'm sorry, Hi— Vice-Commander... But it wasn't an excuse to say that I was... busy with other stuff. "
Shun really couldn't see him in the eye. She's too scared. Not to his wrath, but to see the disappointment in his eyes.

Hijikata shot a glare with his voice getting slightly harsher.
" Explain yourself, Shun Tanzaki. State all your secrets to your fucking business in here, at the Shinsengumi. You said you want me to be the first one to hear it, right? I don't even know how to clarify it if Yamazaki didn't reveal your cover. Raising money privately is strictly forbidden here, you have no idea how many men forced to gutted themselves as punishment for violating that code. "

Though Shun's left hand is still under her haori, she can feel the coldness sipping into her every fingers. But only this time... that she need to raise her head and voice to Hijikata so he would listen to her.

" No! "
She flexed her head up, meeting eye to eye with his sharp glare.

" T-true, I'm connected to the yokai... Making deals with them by helping them in exchange of... some sort of payment. B-but! It's not my desire to do so! I... I just did my duty... And... the payment is not even in the form of money... we... either me or the yokai, we don't quite see the value of money in our matters. "
She's trembling but she's doing her hardest to convey her mind and feeling through the fear.

" What do you mean by performing your duty? What other work do you have besides as a physician? "

And this is where the long night begins.
.

.

.

With just one question, Shun had put out everything. The thing that he intended to tell Hijikata from before, until the first thing he didn't want to talk about.