Pity and Grace

The darkest hour is that before the dawn. And as if the heaven agrees on those proverb, three times, an explosion blaring its voice throughout the mountain down to the army's camp. Black smokes which defiling the purplish sky of dawn, can be trailed down to one point.

As in answering their battle call, the Shinsengumi troupe immediately run to where the smokes lit up. Even after they've arrived at the bombing place, the situation is still beyond devastating.

" How dare they attacked the emperor palace? What's the Chōsū thinking? "
Inoue said in disbelief after he helped to carry one of the injured soldier to a safer place.

Just as they were done helping the soldiers, Saito make haste towards Hijikata to report back on what the surviving soldiers said to him.
" It appears that early this morning, the Aizu and Satsuma Clans, fought back the Chōsū Clan at the Hamaguri Gate. "

" Hah, the Satsuma actually helped the Aizu? My, how quickly the world changes. "
Hijikata snickered back.

As if to break the slight fun Hijikata had before, the red-haired man Harada came to tell an urgent report.
" Hijikata-san, there are still some Chōsū left around the royal court's 5th gate. "

" Captain, the people we believed to have lead this raid are headed towards Mt.Tennozan. "
Yamazaki reported back as well.

Things have gotten very chaotic and everything seems to be changing in a pace that no normal person would actually function rationally in a situation like this. Wether they protect what's left behind, or to pursue the one who responsible for this?

And that's when Hijikata said it with a smile on his face.
" Harada, take some men to the royal court's 5th gate and deal with the remaining Chōsū scum. Saito and Yamazaki, confirm the situation. Head towards the Hamaguri Gate if everything's moving as anticipated. "
Believing in their demon vice-commander, they proceeds to answer the task they've been given.

As for the bigger problem, there will be two people needed in here. That is, Kondou and Hijikata himself.
" There's the group that ran off to Mt. Tennozan along with remnants of their army. They'll probably take a general with them to flee the country. Well, all we need is to follow them if we're not stuck in Kyoto. Kondou-San, you're the only one who can ask for permission for us to leave Kyōto. "

" Yeah, I'll be sure to have the permission. You can count on me, Toshi. "

" And Genza, I want you to come with Kondou-San as well. Just make sure he won't go on a rampage. "
As if to break the tension a little bit, Hijikata make a joke about how temperament and impulsive sometimes their dear commander is.

" Yes, I'll make sure of it. "
Inoue replies in a relax manner with his usual gentle smile while Kondou seems to be bashful about how correct it actually is.

In a flash, everyone's laughing with each other. Truly a wonder how Hijikata actually not just can control the situation, but the mental states of his men as well.

" Well then, everyone else come with me to Mt. Tennozan! "
Following his command, that means Chizuru and Shinpachi will be on his tail also.
.

.

.

" Pull back! The Aizu Clan's in charge of protecting this gate! "

" Rubbish! The Satsuma's already protecting it! "

Two clans and two big ego. Though each of them carry the same weight of protecting the gate and civilian, the thought of basking under praises and golds lead them to chaos. Between the clash, one particular group steal the other's gazes with their distinguished blue haori.