03 - Mind Your Own Beeswax

Chapter Two

I didn't jump

I didn't jump.

Twice in twenty-four hours, I'd failed to act. And now a Greek god of a boy is staring at her.

I'm looking at the male equivalent of Ari. He looks so much like her. Golden tan-skinned, dark wavy locks of hair, perfectly symmetrical face, pouty lips, and dark heavy brows with a set of grey eyes underneath them. While Ari's irises are almost colorless, his have hints of ocean blue. It was if the water next to him was reflecting into his eyes. The same eyes that were staring at Ari as if she were the most beautiful sight he'd ever seen.

I don't like him.

I approach Ari and loop my arm into hers. She turns to me. She is still wielding the smile she'd been flashing at him.

"Hey Girly! Took you long enough." She says. Then she pulls me closer and turns to face the intruding stranger.

She speaks in rapid French. It's fast and one word seems to roll into the other. I only catch a single word; my name. She's introducing me, I've heard her do it a few times before. Instead of saying my full name, she's gotten in the habit of calling me Belle. Pronounced with an intake of breath at the last syllable, making it sound more like Bell-ahh.

There is a sharp release of breath she makes that reminds me of a gasp every time my name leaves her lips. It's enough to make me shiver.

The intruder turns his smile and eyes on me. If I didn't dislike him so much; I'm sure my heart would be pounding like a jackhammer. I've never seen such a pretty boy before. He is still masculine. Tall, strong cheekbones and jawline, banging body, but he was somehow pretty.

He speaks and his voice is deep and rumbly.

"Hello, Belle! C'est vrai. Tu es très jolie et belle. Quand tu souris, c'est mon soleil qui brille."

I don't know what he's said. I heard hello and my name. I look at him then at Ari. Waiting for her translate for me.

She asks him a follow-up question in French. Again, she says it so fast all I catch is the word French and English, maybe? Is she asking him to speak English?

He tilts his head and blinks his eyes at Ari, then turn his gaze back to me.

"Mmmm...my English is no great, sorry?" He says slowly.

He rubs his chin with the back of his hand in concentration as he searches for the correct words. His pose reminds me of the statue. The thinker.

"I say your name is très beautiful." He pauses again in concentration. "And you are same."

I get the feeling I'm not getting the direct translation; he'd said more words.

Then he smiles a giant grin that reminds me of Ari. Brightens his face, his eyes smize, and while Ari only has one dimple, he as two. And then I kid you not the Greek god himself introduces himself.