21 - There's No "i" in Denial - pt. 2

Chapter Nine continued

"Hey, we don't have to stop," I say quietly

She raises her eyebrows.

I continue, "Just not right here, okay."

She turns and looks at the front door and then back at me. "Right, good thinking. Then where do you...?"

"My bed."

I take her hand and lead her to my bedroom. I turn on the lights and lock the door behind us. Just in case, no interruptions this time. I look at my bed it's covered in books, clean laundry I'd folded, and the red dress she'd gifted me.

"Just give me a second."

I begin clearing off my bed. Which is hard to do since the room is so small. Every time I turn, I bump into Charli. I'd only recently folded the clothes. It'd be a waste of time if I don't put them up. I might as well do it now and place them in the dresser where they belong.

Charli is standing awkwardly against my door attempting to give me as much space as she can while I tidy up.

I'm not stalling. I'm nervous. When I'm nervous I clean.

I pick up the red dress and stare at it. I should hang it up as well. It's too nice to fold.

"Do you like it?" Charli asks.

"Yes, I love it."

"Would you wear it tomorrow?"

"What for?" I grab a hanger and slide the dress on to it.

"I've been meaning to ask you..." She starts.

The bed is clean now. Charli squeezes past me to sit down on it.

"...if you would work a case with me tomorrow? It's more of a date than anything. You can wear whatever you want, but I'd love to see you in it."

"Sure, you know I love working with you. It's fun. And yes, I'll wear your dress."

I hang it on the rim of the mirror above the sink.

"Is that the reason you've been weird today. You wanted to ask me to help you with a big case?" I ask.