28 - I'm the Villian - pt.2

Chapter Eleven continued

We step outside and the first thing I notice is a shiny cherry-red car parked out front

We step outside and the first thing I notice is a shiny cherry-red car parked out front. I don't know cars, but I know a Porche. Charli walks up to it and unlocks it.

"You like it. It's a 911 Turbo S. Zero to sixty in two-point eight seconds."

Then she opens the passenger door and turns to look at me.

"Do you want to drive? Or should I?"

I gulp.

This is the car she'd gotten for our date.

"Charli, what did you do?"

"What?" She circles around the car to the driver's side. "On second thought, I'll drive. You don't seem to have your shit together."

I nod and slide into the passenger side. I stare around at the black leather interior and red accents on the seats. If I wasn't feeling guilty before, now I'm drowning in it. I've never been in a Porsche before. How much did it cost a day to rent something like this?

When she'd said she was bringing a car for our date I'd thought she meant one of those electric smart cars you could rent from the side of the road. This is...a lot.

Charli starts the car and the engine roars to life. She smiles over at me and raises her eyebrows.

"I thought you'd like to go for a drive before our date," She smiles and pulls the car into the narrow street. "I'd put the top down but..."

The guilt is eating me up inside. I need to grow a pair, I can't let this go on much longer.

"Charli, we need to talk," I say.

She ignores me and continues to ramble on.

"... I wouldn't want to mess up our hair. A sentence I'd never thought I'd say. Do you believe I spent all morning at the hair salon? It's such a waste of..."

"It's about Ari and me before you..."

"Stop," Her hands tighten on the wheel. "Don't continue the thought."