37 - BTW...

Chapter Fourteen

It's not over with Charli

Or at least, I haven't been able to let it go. She'd walked away with barely a few words. And I'd let her. I tried to get in contact with her. I sent her a couple of messages and called; she didn't respond. I went to French lessons and hoped she'd be there, but she wasn't. I thought about showing up at her hotel, but it was too invasive and stalk-ry.

When Wednesday morning came around, I thought maybe she'd text me since she'd agreed to breakfast, but she didn't. Everything with Charli feels open and incomplete. It's weighing heavy on my heart.

For the last couple of days, Ari has wordlessly given me time to cope. She has been careful around me; a little too careful. We've been talking and hanging out, but we haven't been as intimate. My sadness has made her uncomfortable, but I can't help it.

Ari also still seems to be fond of Apollo. She wanted to go to his party. I tried to change her mind about going, but she pleaded, and...I'm whipped.

I can't seem to deny her anything. I wanted to be upset about it, I don't get her fascination with him, but she's been extremely understanding with me. She's been watching me grieve over another girl. I figure I could give her some slack. Plus, going to this party meant there's a chance I'll run into Charli. She'd said she wanted to go, and she does what she wants.

The party is at Apollo's family French chateau an hour outside of Paris. Believe it or not, it's the first time I've ever been to a chateau. It's gigantic. An 18th-century castle made of tan brick, sitting on acres of a green sprawling lawn, a mile-long driveway, a beautifully groomed courtyard, and lots of security detail.

Apollo had one of his drivers come pick us up and we still were required to flash passports and make sure our names were on the guest list. I'd tried to inquire about Charli but was blatantly ignored by the burly Greek man in charge of guarding the stupid precious list.

Now, as much as I don't want to be here, I'm at Apollo's party. I'm wearing one of Ari's evening gowns and attending as her date. Ari's arm is looped in mine as we walk down the steps to the grand foyer. And grand it is. Marble floors, high ceilings, and crystal chandeliers. I can't imagine living in a place with grand foyer and ballroom.

Is this where Ari has been hanging out while I've been in French lessons? I'd thought I'd had a good time this summer. What was hers like?

We hadn't talked about it yet but now I'm dying to know. It'll be AP Physics all over again; me listening with my eyes growing bigger. I'm tempted to ask her now, but I'm distracted.

I search the faces of the other guests.

"She's right there," Ari says next to me.

Then she points to a small crowd of people all surrounding a center point.