38 - Epilogue

Epilogue

Epilogue

I stand on the precipice

"You sure you want to do this?"

I stare down at the dark grey clashing waves. The sun is sinking in the sky. The sun's rays are painting the top of the tides ablaze with shades of pinks and oranges. It's breathtaking. It would be even more stunning if my heart wasn't pounding in my ears in fear. The cliff is just as high up and terrifying as the first time we were here.

I glance at Ari, "Yes, I'm sure."

She frowns and puts her hands on her hips.

"Okay, but if you're not a comfortable swimmer you shouldn't do it."

She anxiously paces back and forward along the edge of the cliff, then gazes down at the waves. I smile at her. I think she's truly concerned for me which is rather amusing. Ari hadn't feared for herself, yet the anxiety is practically leaking from her. Her concern isn't helping though it's making it worse.

My knees are weak, and my pulse is erratic. Now that it's time for me to take the leap I am beginning to question my own logic. It had been my idea to come back here to try it again. I don't want to leave France with any regrets.

"Are you worried about me," I tease.

"Uh, duh?" She crosses her arms over her chest.

"Aren't you a certified lifeguard? You'd save me, right?"

She would too. No doubt in my mind she'd jump right in after me. Oddly enough I'd trust her more with my life than I do with my heart.

"In pools..." She complains. "Maybe you shouldn't. I don't want to have to..."

I take a running jump off the edge. I had to I was losing my nerve and she wasn't helping. For a second, it's as if time as slows down. I'm suspended midair, the wind is rushing past my face, and my stomach is doing summersaults. It's exhilarating. I suck in a giant breath of air before hitting the cool surface. I plunge deep into the darkness. The icy water collapses around me and above my head. Then my feet touch the sand and seaweed below. I push off and swim towards the surface.